018. NEMO SINE VITIO EST

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
no one is without fault

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN— no one is without fault

         UPON RHEA'S RETURN TO HOGWARTS AFTER EASTER BREAK she settled into her old familiar routine and steered clear from Tom. They would pass one another in the hallway and pretend that the other didn't exist. For the time being, Tom Riddle was dead to Rhea Hel. The rest of April passed her by without much trouble and she found herself at the end of May with O.W.L.s right around the corner for career advice with Professor Slughorn.

She drummed her fingers against the surface of the armchair she was seated in while Professor Slughorn made his way back to his seat. He pulled at his gingery blonde moustache and smiled widely at Rhea.

"Well, Miss Hel, this meeting is simply to talk over any career ideas you might have, and to help you decide which subjects you should continue into sixth and seventh years. Have you had any thoughts about what you want to do when you leave Hogwarts?" Professor Slughorn asked.

Truth be told, Rhea had all sorts of ideas of what she wanted to do when she was younger. At one point she had wanted to be an Investigator so she could travel the world and investigate creature-related cases for the Beast Division at the Ministry, but over the years she found herself becoming less and less interested in that. Becoming a dragonologist had crossed her mind too. She had always felt a connection or deep fascination towards dragons, but she always thought that had something to do with her family's ties to dragons. 

But, like most things in Rhea's life, her career choice wasn't something she entirely had a say in. It had been something that was discussed at length with her entire family years ago. It was all planned out for her.

"I want to be a Hit Wizard," said Rhea. Slughorn's bushy eyebrows rose a few inches, obviously shocked at Rhea's words. She blinked at him and waited for him to recover.

"A Hit Wizard, really?" Slughorn asked. "It's just that . . . well, you don't see very many witches who want to become Hit Wizards, but times are changing, I suppose."

Rhea resisted the urge to roll her eyes, but she placed a pleasant smile on her face instead. Her family had been the one to suggest that she and her brother both pursue jobs in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement for the Ministry. Her brother was on track to follow in their grandmother's footsteps and join the Wizengamot and, originally, Rhea was going to go that route too before she proposed the idea of becoming a Hit Wizard instead. 

A Hit Wizard was a Member of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad who were trained to deal with highly dangerous situations. It was also a field dominated by wizards and Rhea was determined to become the best witch for the job. She'd climb her way up the ladder until the Minister himself would be knocking at her door.