010. GRAVIORA MANENT

CHAPTER TEN
heavier things remain

      TOM RIDDLE HAD FINALLY DONE IT

      TOM RIDDLE HAD FINALLY DONE IT. He tamed the beast that dwelling within the Chamber of Secrets after a month of searching for the perfect moments to slip away from his Prefect duties and descend into the second-floor girl's bathroom. He looked upon the faces of his followers as they each looked at him with expressions of submission. They would no longer doubt him or second guess his actions — he was worthy.

To his right stood Abraxas, his most loyal servant; and to his left stood Astrea, the girl who was willing to do anything for him. Astrea had stumbled upon the boy when they were small first years and she came on him riding alone in the compartment. He remembered the way she shyly stepped in and sat across from him with a book in her lap. She told him all about the different houses of Hogwarts, what he should expect, and it was from her that he learned the meaning of one's blood status.

The Ravenswood family was descended from the Founders Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin, not that many were aware of that. Astrea told him that everyone suspected she would be put in Ravenclaw, but that she wanted to be in Gryffindor. She was placed in Ravenclaw not too long after the Sorting Hat was placed on her head. Tom expected the talkative girl to forget all about the boy she spoke to on the train, but she hadn't. She was the first person to take a genuine interest in him. She constantly seeked him out and wormed her way into his life. It was no secret to anyone — least of all him — that Astrea had feelings for him. She would constantly let him do as he pleased and had so willingly agreed to join his band of followers simply because he had asked her to. He didn't understand why. 

He couldn't imagine how she'd feel if she knew that the reason he discovered the Chamber of Secrets was because of Rhea Hel — the girl who had been taking up too much of his time and effort when he could've been redirecting it to other things. He would follow through with his plan to lure Rhea to the Basilisk where she would meet her match and, if everything went according to plan, die. He felt a thrill run through him at the prospect that the girl who thought herself to be unbeatable would finally meet her demise at the hands of the boy who she thought couldn't touch her.

"Come midnight tomorrow," Tom said. His followers blinking faces looked up at him expectantly. "Rhea Hel will be dead."

Avida Carrow raised an eyebrow and Tom could see Astrea turn to him out of the corner of his eye. Her eyes had widened infinitesimally and her jaw was slack.

"Dead?" Druella Rosier repeated. Tom could see the anxious look beginning to appear on her face that she quickly tried to cover up under his hard gaze.

"Yes," he said, annoyed. "Rhea Hel has proven to be a problem that needs to be taken care of immediately. The real question is how we are going to come up with a cover story to explain her death."