Chapter 7

The pilot and navigator took them to the outskirts of New Athens, landing on top of an old factory building. As they offloaded, the landing platform sank below the roofline, and it closed again to stop the water and keep out any patrol views of what had to be an illegal vessel. Alya watched it all with wary fascination. She had gotten off with everyone else, but stood apart, not wanting to be there, and having to calm her impulse to run. The pilot came over to her, with a tight, business like smile, she held out her hand.

"Hello, Alya, I am Hlenea, leader of this particular branch of the Underground. If you would be so kind, my cohort is waiting down below where it's dry." Though her words were kind enough, Alya couldn't shake the thought of a noose tightening around her neck. Inadvertently, her hand went to her throat and she rubbed away the sensation. She caught the eye of the navigator, and his unique teal-green eyes sparkled in understanding. He gave a faint nod, and for some inexplicable reason, that reassured her more than anything. It still was next to nothing, but it was enough to force her feet onwards.

People appeared out of the woodworks, and by the time the entire party had made it to the conference room, nearly two dozen people had joined them. Alya could feel the hairs on the back of her neck start to stand up, and she rubbed her arms to try and get rid of the prickles. It was to no avail. The pilot went to stand with another man, who was clearly older, and, if Alya had to guess, had been around to for the colonization of the Temperate Zone. His white hair didn't scream his heritage, but when he turned dark eyes to take her in, she felt another shiver. He was clearly not one to suffer fools. The leader of the extraction team went to stand at the head of the table with the other two leaders, while the others milled about the room. The trigger happy woman took a seat next to Alya, her eyes sharp and her manner sharper still.

"Thank you for coming," said the elder statesman. "It has been a long time since I had the privilege of meeting with a Lady of the Queen's court." He gave a tiny bow of his head to her in respect. Knowing what was expected, she did the same. Waiting for the pleasantries to be over, and for the crowd to quiet, he steadily held her gaze. "I imagine you are wondering why we've brought you here."

Alya gave an apologetic shrug. "No offense, sir, but I have been hunted by differing factions the better part of my life. I'm not asking questions I know the answer to."

"Then you know what we ask?" he replied with obvious surprise.

"The last time the Underground questioned me, I was fifteen, and they wanted me for the purpose of bringing down the android, Michael."

"And you refused?" asked the squadron leader.

"Yes. I was not qualified at the time to do what they asked. I had only served the Queen in a formal capacity for four years." She gave the leaders an artificially apologetic smile. "Typically, a handmaiden serves the queen for five years before being elevated by her merits."

"Yet you are known as Lady Alyaria," argued Nial, the elder statesman.

"I was an exception," she said, forgetting to measure her words to add false humility. Most around the table rippled with aggression, but the pilot merely smiled.

"We have asked you here in a similar capacity as before," Hlenea said. "We know you have been in communication with the android."

Alya glanced in the direction of the navigator, but kept her attention on the head of the table. "I have."

"You clearly have an in with him," said the squadron leader, his enthusiasm growing with each word. Alya had to admire how handsome he became when so enthused, but his words set her teeth on edge. "You have had years of training, why not work with us now to destroy him?"