Plan

Rapunzel walked down the hall with Cassandra and Eugene. "I've been having the greatest day. I even made a new friend today!"

"She met Varian." Eugene chuckled. "And, no, he's never been on a prison barge. He's real quiet, and doesn't seem to do well with crowds. It's no wonder you haven't met him yet."

"But, maybe you'll meet him today!" Rapunzel said cheerfully.

"Maybe, but let's not forget that today isn't just about having fun." Cassandra chuckled.

"I know." Rapunzel smiled.

They turned a corner and Rapunzel gasped when she saw Varian and Quirin outside the throne room. "Oh my gosh, I was just talking about you!" She ran over and hugged Varian and he let out a surprised yelp. "I was worried you'd change your mind and go home after your scare earlier!"

"N-No, I'm here." He smiled awkwardly.

Rapunzel gasped. "Oh my gosh, I have to show you my paintings. Do you mind?" She looked up at Quirin.

"Well, I think that will be alright, if Varian wants to. I'll come and find you later." Quirin smiled at him.

Varian nodded quietly and let Rapunzel pull him along, Cassandra trailing along behind them. He looked over his shoulder and saw Eugene saying something quietly to Quirin before he followed them.

"So, you're Varian?" Cassandra asked cheerfully.

He nodded, looking at her. Rapunzel recalled that he'd said he didn't remember Cassandra. Maybe this could help him remember her?

They got to Rapunzel's bedroom and Cassandra and Eugene stood to the side to watch them while Rapunzel pulled Varian along and showed him different paintings she'd done.

He spoke quietly, surprising her, "I think Eugene and my father are working together."

"What makes you say that?" She asked quietly.

"I saw him say something to my father just before following us." Varian glanced at the man, who was joking around with Cassandra.

"What about Cass?" Rapunzel asked.

"I don't know. But, Eugene and my father are the most suspicious." He paused. "Rapunzel, why was I on the prison barge?"

"What?" She looked surprised.

"Why was I on the prison barge? I can't...I can't remember." He looked at her. "Can you?"

"I..." Her eyes widened. "I don't. It's been--"

"--overwritten." Varian nodded. "We don't have time to wait for the banquet."

"So, what do we do?" Rapunzel asked.

"We go tonight." Varian nodded firmly. "I'll sneak out of my room and meet you at the the secret dock under the bridge to Corona."

"There's a secret dock?" Rapunzel asked.

"The Stabbingtons told me about it." Varian nodded firmly. "We need to--"

"Lots of whispering going on here!" Eugene said, walking up to them. "Are you two keeping secrets?"

"We're just talking about how to make the best first impression for my father." Rapunzel lied. Funny, she didn't feel bad about it.

"I'm sure Varian's dad has that already handled." Eugene assured her, then pulled her close. "Why whisper that, though? It's not like it's nothing I shouldn't hear, right?"

"Right." Rapunzel smiled. "I was just being discreet, for Varian's sake."

"Of course." He kissed her sweetly, then let go. "But, we should probably get him back to his father soon."