Blood

With the bloodless revolution over and done with and Nigel and the Royal Guard locked up for questioning, the castle was calmer again. The staff that had hidden came out of hiding and the Royal Physician handed himself in for questioning the next day. While Rapunzel met with Lady Caine and other important figures in town and the criminal world to hear their stories about Frederic's tyranny, Lance, Cassandra and Eugene went down with Varian and Andrew to see the High-Security prison.

"Ugh...smells like death down here." Cassandra said grimly as they stepped through the door.

"You get used to it." Varian and Andrew said in unison.

"I'm surprised Clyde's not here." Eugene said teasingly to Varian.

"He and his father are meeting with the Saporian mages to set up defenses against Zhan Tiri's minions around the city. Ruddiger is with them, too." Varian replied.

They reached his old cell and Varian tensed. Andrew gently placed a hand on his shoulder and spoke words of comfort that the others couldn't hear. Beyond the bars, they could see evidence of someone being here a long time. Equations and marks keeping track of the days littered the wall, scratched out into the stone.

"Oh, geez..." Cassandra moved her hand to her mouth, feeling ill.

"Save that for the interrogation room." Varian advised, walking on with Andrew.

Eugene took a deep breath, then followed him, the others following behind.

Varian approached the door and reached to open it, halting just before he touched the handle. His eyes were wide and his body was trembling. Andrew reached out and took his hand, pulling him close to him and wrapping his arm around his shoulders. "It's okay. You don't have to go in there."

Varian closed his eyes and shook his head. "No...I do. I have to overcome this."

Andrew sighed and slowly let go of him, then watched as he reached out and opened the door. As soon as it opened, Cassandra let out a horrified gasp and stepped back. Varian tensed as the scent of blood - his blood - brought back everything he'd experienced here. He looked ahead of him at the blood-stained, whip-scarred table and saw himself chained to it, biting back cries of pain and tears as King Frederic stood on the other side of the table, staring him down. He shivered, recalling his cold expression. He doubted that anyone else had ever seen him like that. Downright predatory.

"Varian?" Andrew looked at him with concern.

"I'm okay." He assured him. "I'm...I'm okay. It's just...it's just like the nightmares, that's all. It's not happening right now, it's in the past. Just my mind."

Andrew sighed and pulled him close again.

--

Lance and Eugene entered the room, but Cassandra couldn't bring herself to and only watched as the two men looking over the damage, the evidence of King Frederic's cruelty. Yes, they'd seen his back, but seeing where it happened, seeing Varian's blood still on the table and walls and floor and even on the ceiling was...horrifying.

"Mmngh..." She stumbled back, feeling nauseous. She had to keep it in, though. She had to be strong, because if Varian could endure it and still face this room, then she could face this room and avoid losing her lunch. She looked at the glowing boy and wondered how he could be so strong, to endure that and then face it again. To face his tormentor and of many months and be so calm. It was completely supernatural the level of his strength, how well he could keep his composure after all he'd been put through.

Everything you just left him to endure. He thought you were his friend.

She glanced away, feeling guilty. Yes, she'd apologized over and over, they'd all apologized over and over and certainly stood by him to help him get the justice he needed, but the glaring fact that he never would've faced any of it if she'd only been there for him when he came to the castle during the blizzard couldn't be ignored. The least she could do was be here with him for this.