Idk

Chapter 14
Ecbert's village was dull, at best, the streets were coated in mud. At least skadi hoped it was mud. The small hall sat on a hill in the middle, with a spiked wooden wall around it. She walked away behind her father and brother, she didn't like England, especially when Ragnar was so keen to die here.
Soldiers and townspeople alike turned their heads and shared hushed words with one another. None of which were pleasant. Skadi tried her best to stay low, unnoticed but it was hard when everything about you contrasted them. There was a group that caught her attention, three girls stood close together, about the same age as her, but different. They're hair was pulled back, and they're dresses seemed somewhat cleaner than most. Skadi hadn't worn a dress since she had been home in hedeby, pants were easier on long journeys. One girl held a long piece of leather, on the other end was a skinny brown dog.  It looked nothing like her own pets, yet he reminded her of the pair so much. The way it stood so closely to his human, still positioning himself in front of her, protecting her from some unseen threat.
In her distraction, Skadi had fallen behind in the road, unable to see her father anymore. She quickly trekked up the short hill, to the wooden gates just in time to see two soldiers take ragnar roughly, shoving him inside.
She nearly lunged for him but a firm hand stopped her, turning she saw a man, hood pulled and frowning.

 "You attack now, they'll kill all three of you." Skadi tried pulling her arm away but his grip was tight. "Wait child, the gods will help you."

When she turned back towards him, there was nothing. No one in the crowd seemed to notice his disappearance either.
She needed a plan, instead of following the guards she turned, following the wall til she found the kitchen. Further down were what she assumed were the barracks and a training yard.
The latter of which was in use, two men circled each other before one lunged. In three second one man was flat in the mud.
Not bad, for a saxxon. Ragnar could knock their skulls together in half that, Bjorn maybe faster. The winner of the fake battle held his hand for his opponent helping him up, before taking his helm off. He was younger than she expected, looking no older than Ivar, though had opposingly light hair,and was more muscular than her brother. Squishing mud broke her thought, ducking under a target, and watching a man stride up, the crown on his head sat crooked.
Ecbert. He was older than she had imagined. Nothing like what her mother had told her.
Nonetheless, he held her father, and brother and for that Skadi didn't like him.
Sakdi ducked under another target, turning around the building, out of the king's view. The sun was setting when she entered the main hall of the keep, still clinging to the walls, avoiding any eyes. Surely she would stick out, she looked like a dane, she needed to look like she belonged. This train of thought led her to a spare room, full of old furniture and best for her a few dresses. None were even close to her size, settling on one just too long and ripping the bottom few inches off. The muddy colored overlay made sure that she was dressed more impoverished than a royal, her long braids had been run through leaving her blonde locks slightly waved. Frizzy really but far convincing.
Making her way around the long stone and wood halls, she attempted to make a map in her head. One door led to a balcony overlooking the main yard where they had entered, where Ragnar was arrested. Now, however, was another familiar face, Ivar sat on the back of a cart pouting as usual, Siggtryr next to him. Neither looked thrilled with the situation. The Aetheling stood tall next to his father, two younger boys were just behind them. Ivar was being sent home. Per Ragnar's wishes, surely she was supposed to be there too.
Before she had time to look for her father in the crowd a hand grabbed her arm, "what are you looking at girl, you've got chores."
She was an older woman, tall and thin, with a wrinkly face and gray hair, her eyes landed on Ivars departing glare. "Best hope they don't come back, Danes are no good, they'll rip you apart without a second thought." She pulled skadi back through the door towards the kitchens again.
'Oh I will do it gladly. Just not yet'
The woman gave her a tray of bread and meat, and a pitcher of what she assumed was ale and sent her off to the hall. Arriving she saw the king sat up at the head of the table, already drinking from the cup. The aetheling sat to his left, along with a younger blonde boy. Opposite sat, young women, dressed in a dark purple gown. She was the only one without a plate in front of her, so seemingly that's who Skadi was supposed to deliver her plate to.
She was pretty, the women sat so still she might pass as a statue. With long dark hair into braids, ribbons woven through them the same color as her dress. Piercing blue eyes peered at the younger girl, Skadi was almost intimidated. Almost.
"Lady Elwyn, tell me how your father is?"
Elwyn?
"As well as I know, I left him in good health." She seemed very interested in what the prince was saying. Even Ecbert looked bored, sighing as he ushered Skadi closer while holding up his cup. Like a good little servant, Skadi promptly filled it, though as she pulled the jug away he took it out of her hand.
The conversation continued, pleasantries and things far from controversy. Ecbert's attention returned to Skadi, she stood only a few feet behind Elwyn. Frizzy blonde hair was half heartedly pulled back, and mismatched eyes took in everything around her.
He had already ignored his son's conversation, "girl."
Said girl's eyes locked with his, "I haven't seen you, come here." Skadi stepped forward as all eyes landed on her, "what's your name."
"Edyd" skadi was many things but unprepared isn't one of them. She even put on her very best saxon accent.
Ecbert stood, circling around her, "how old are you."
"Thirteen."
"Mm, you will serve Lady Elwyn as long as she requires, understood?" Skadi didn't answer, just nodded slightly, "good Aethelwulf escort our guest to her room."
"Yes father."
Skadi stood up intending to follow them, but was stopped by a hand around her wrist. "Boys to bed.'' Both remaining boys did as told, though started closely as the girl stood near their grandfather. As soon as they were gone Ecbert spoke, "it was never my intention to imprison Ragnar, he believes his destiny is to die in England."
"I don't know what you're talking about."
"Dont, you think i didn't know who you were when i saw you," he released her arm, "you look just like your mother."
She only stared at him, well glared really.
"Your father is being brought here now, stay in the corner." as if on cue in chains Ragnar was brought in.