Mama

Skadi was trouble, meaning.
Skadi was IN trouble. A lot.
Like now, her mother Lagertha had a stern look on her face as a farmer explained her latest mishap with her son. It was his fault.
Skadi had been practicing with the bow Floki had made for her. Well she was until a boy by the name of Geir came along. She hadn't paid much attention to him, until he started critiquing her every movement. How she pulled the string back, how long she held her gaze, the way she let the string go. He was being incredibly annoying, so she packed up her things and left him. He didn't like that, rushing up to her he grabbed her hand.
The boy was a few years her elder, meaning he was bigger then her. They held they're gazes for a moment when Skadi tried to release her hand only for him to grip it tighter.
"What do you want?" She had asked, very annoyed.
"You should know your place girl," now she was both confused and annoyed. "It's at home, cooking and cleaning. And being a good little wife." He put a finger under her chin tilting it up.
"If you were my wife," he had continued "I'd fuck you til you knew your place."
Skadi lost her temper, she had admitted that. She punched him square in the face, when he dropped she continued pinning him down.
"The only place, I belong is here beating the shit out of you." She hit him again,"if I hear you say that to any girl, my friend or not I'll put your head in the ground."
"Crazy bitch" That's when she lost her temper, beating him until one of her mother's guards, Ulf, stopped them.
Geir had ended up with a broken nose, busted lip, and both eyes were swollen and blue. He ran home to his mother, twisting the story so he was the absolute victim.
His mother promptly stomped into the main hall, demanding she apologize. However Skadi had just finished telling her mother what had actually happened.
"She needs to apologize to my son, he has done nothing wrong." Geirs mother, Ingrid, demands.
"Well," Lagertha looked at her daughter," that is not what my daughter has told me, she said that your son wouldn't let her go. That he made overly crude comments her."
Ingrid looked as though she would set the world on fire. "He has done no such thing, he's a good boy, unlike this little feral beast."
"Choose your words carefully Ingrid, do not forget she is my daughter." Lagerthas voice was dangerously low, almost like a growl.
"Why would my son lie" Ingrid's voiced it carefully.
Skadi finally piped up, "cause he got beat up by a girl half his age?" She joked, Ingrid and Geir glared at her.
"Skadi, please." Lagertha said a glint of humor in her eyes. "Ingrid I agree that Skadis actions were out of line," now she looked cockily at the girl. "But so weren't your sons." Her smile dropped. "They will both apologize to each other, now."
"Fine" both kids said in unison.
"I'm sorry I lost my temper."
"And?"
Geir looked at her again, cocking his head. Repeating Lagerthas word snarkily "annndd?"
"And I'm sorry I'm going to do it again if you keep up with tha-"
"Skadi. Enough."
"I'm sorry I hurt you." She said it curtly before returning to her seat.
"Geir." Lagertha gestured to Skadi.
"I'm sorry you're a crazy bit-" Skadi launched forward, only for Ulf to grab her by the waist pulling her back. Holding her as she tried to break out of his grip.
Both began a screaming match, Ingrid taking began walking forward only to be blocked by another guard.
"ENOUGH!" Lagerthas voice boomed through the room, bringing an end to the yelling. Lagertha rose from her seat, slowly making her way to Geir. She stood less then a foot away, glaring down at him. "Now. You will apologize to my daughter and me for your actions here. Both of you" she turned to Ingrid "then you will go home and I will not hear anymore of this. Understood?"
Both mother and son apologized begrudgingly before hurrying out of the hall.
Lagertha looked towards her daughter, "bed, now."
"Mama,-"
"Now."
Sighing Skadi nodded, leaving her mother, reaching her bedroom quickly. Freki and Geri were curled into one another, near her pillow. Geri's head raised as she entered, he got up coming to her side. The pups grew bigger in the few weeks she had them. Geri was the smaller of the two, he was usually quiet, and seemed thoughtful. Freki was more playful his ears were constantly flopping as he tilted his head.
Skadi changed out of her clothes into a night dress, crawling into the bed. Geri curled up to her side, while Freki sprawled over her chest.
The next morning came far to quickly, the sun shining through the window. Groaning the girl pulled her blankets over her head.
No, mornings are not for her, this one even less.