12. Two Weeks to Draw the Line

All eyes were on me, and my eyes were intently focused on a ketchup stain marring the table.

The uncomfortably competitive feeling drifting from each of the boys was making me squirm. Melissa cleared her throat, and I looked up to see her nod her head in Noah's direction.

Shit. I forgot he'd mentioned another date. My gaze finally, slowly, raised up to meet his, and I saw his eyebrow was pulled up expectantly. I swallowed hard and bit down on my lip.

"Uh, it is great weather, but I already made plans with Melissa," I muttered, still chewing on my bottom lip.

"Plans? What plans? I don't--" Melissa, the idiot, seemed perplexed before I less-than-casually punched her shin with my foot, my eyes widening in panic. "Ouch, wha-ohhh, yeah, that's right, we have that thing we were planning, with uh, Lily! The, uh, Facetime movie night thing."

Wow. Great save, Melissa. Totally didn't make it obvious she was lying.

"Yup, uh-huh, that's right," I exhaled loudly, looking back to Noah to see whether I was magically in the clear despite Melissa's awful attempt at lying.

The amused twinkle in his eye made me realize he didn't believe a single word of that excuse.

"Movie night, huh," he said, leaning closer to me. He reached out his hand, and his thumb gently rubbed against the lower lip I was still biting on. The shock of the intimate gesture made me instantly let go of it, and it brought one of those overly-charming smirks on his face. "Sounds fun."

Yet again, I felt frozen by this unexpected action of his, and the way his smile and eyes seemed to say so much more than words could. But, before I could decipher the message hidden in their depths, someone cleared their throat. Loudly. Angrily.

I completely forgot Jake existed. Yikes. It was starting to become annoying, the way Noah managed to affect me despite my intense reluctance. Was I really so weak-willed to be dazzled by a pair of pretty eyes?

With an angry click of my tongue, I pulled away from Noah, and flew to my feet, almost knocking the food tray to the ground before managing to catch it. "Right, yes, well, I-I need to get going now."

My eyes quickly darted over everyone at the table. Jake seemed pissed, eyes narrowed as he stared at Noah. Who, on the other hand, was casually leaning in his chair, arms stuffed in the pockets of his blue hoodie and a satisfied grin on his face.

"Sure, babe. Text you later."

I threw a glare at him, hoping that look would tell him exactly what I felt about his recent overuse of pet names. Then I purposefully focused on Jake and gave him the biggest smile. "Bye, Jake, see you later."

Jake instantly perked up, a grin pulling up his lips as he nodded. "Sure thing, Sky, see ya'."

A barely audible rumble left Noah as I turned around and walked away, tray in hand and a satisfied smirk on my face.