Chapter Seven

Tapping my foot on the floor, I impatiently waited for Jeremy to bring me news of the sacrifice. The door opened, and Jeremy came in, crying.

I opened my arms for him on the bed, and he came over to sit in my lap, his back to my chest. We used to do this after the accident, Elena was too busy dealing with her own 'grief' to ever check on his mental health.

I never approved of him being on drugs, but I knew he would eventually stop of his own free will, instead of being forced.

He cried into my arms as I rocked back and forth, calming him with my embrace.

"J-Jenna's dead!"

He stuttered out, and my heart stopped,

"K-Klaus used her in the s-sacrifice as his v-vampire"

A piece of my (probably already
dead) heart broke, and a single tear trailed down my face. I quickly wiped it away, I had to be strong for Jeremy.

I remembered her smile, the one that used to light up a whole room. Her energetic energy, the kind she put on for us to disguise her own pain. The way she used to slap my hand away from fresh cookies, when she knew exactly when I needed space, and when she knew that I needed someone to listen.

"J-John's dead too, he gave his life to save Elena's"

He continued, and my entire heart shattered.

My 'Uncle' John and I always had a good relationship, other people saw him as a jerk, but I knew him as the broken man he was.
I remembered when I confronted him about being my biological father...

Flashback

I watched from the window as Elena and my so-called 'parents' left the driveway. They went to take her out for ice cream because she got on the cheerleading squad in freshman year.

They had told me to stay home, to study for my online classes, which were deemed very important, being a teen prodigy was hard.

Uncle John awkwardly shuffled into the kitchen behind me, he had been staying for the last few days.

"So... um, I assume you didn't get invited for ice cream either?"
He spoke, turning on the coffee pot.

"No"
I deadpanned,

"So what do you d-"
I cut him off,

"I know you're my real father"

Silence overtook the house.

"What? How?"
He questioned, a stunned look on his face.

"The blood types don't match up, Mom is A positive, Dad is AB negative, Elena and I are O positives, simple"

He chuckled nervously,

"I guess that explains why you're a freshman in college instead of high school"

Nodding, I headed towards the stairs to study in my room.

"Wait, Ashley"
John called out behind me, so I stopped,

"Grab your coat, let's go for a hike, the woods are especially nice this time of year"

End Flashback

John is the one that kickstarted my passion for running, also my addiction to coffee. We had always hid our close relationship, we knew my sister and parents wouldn't approve.

I held Jeremy in my arms until he eventually fell asleep. Grunting, I picked him up and put him in his own bed down the hall.

Grabbing a jacket and my violin, I went out the front door.
I ran through the woods until I reached the old quarry, sitting atop the small cliff beside the waterfall.

I played a sad melody with my bow and strings, I didn't even know the song, it was just, sad.

Third PoV:

The wolf form of Klaus Mikaelson prowled through the woods, seeking fresh blood. His ears stood up and he heard a melancholy melody sound through the forrest.

He followed the music until he reached a young girl sitting atop a cliff. The moonlight reflected off of her white skin and hair, the melody and light making her seem almost, ethereal.

He was sure he was in the presence of some sort of goddess, the wind blew through her hair, revealing a section of her tear-streaked face. He knew he couldn't disturb her, so he slowly backed away.

A minute later, Elijah Mikaelson followed his brother through the trees, until he too caught sight of the ethereal music.
He hesitated, but sat down beside her, making sure not to say anything until she had finished.

"I didn't know you played"
He said in a soft voice,

"There's a lot you don't know about me"
She replied coldly,

"I'm deeply sorry for the death of your sister"
He apologized sincerely.

"It's not her I'm sad over, Elena made her bed and lied in it, my aunt and uncle died tonight too"

A pause,

"I deeply regret their deaths also"

"Yeah well, it's not your fault. I knew you couldn't kill Klaus, he's your brother. He probably had something to stop you with, an ace up his sleeve if you will"

Elijah nodded,

"It turns out he didn't bury my family at sea, he still has them and promised to reunite me with them"

"Huh. Of course, the family play. Be cautious, alright? Klaus is sneaky, he'll probably try to work his way out of your deal"

"I will try, Ashley Gilbert. Farewell for now"

"Goodbye Elijah, catch you on the flip side"

And with that, he continued to follow the trail of blood Klaus had left in his wake.