Chapter 9. Down Hill

~No one's P.O.V~

Once landing on a ledge from the island declared as New Berk, an uncomfortable silence fell between riders and dragons, friends and lovers.

Once her paws were on the ground, Y/n was quick to slide off of Shadow's back. Her hands going straight to her hair, combing through it before giving it a slight tug at the end.

She turned to look at Hiccup and Astrid, who had already gotten off of their dragons, her hands falling to her sides just as she opened her mouth to speak. But she couldn't. She wanted to be mad at them for even coming, but she didn't have any right to.

She closed her mouth again and exhaled through her nose before turning around. She took short, lousy steps towards the ledge. And there she stood, her back towards Hiccup and Astrid as she starred over the open ocean.

Hiccup, the still guilt-filled man, looked at her back. His green eyes then went to Toothless and Shadow, who had slowly trailed after the girl, purring at the horizon. His eyes then went toward the island, where the Berkians were all working on building new houses, a plan being set up for a new Great Hall. They were making a new home on New Berk, one Hiccup had to come to terms with. Or with the fact that, that home, might not include Y/n, Toothless, or Shadow.

He turned to Astrid for a moment, who could clearly see the pain in his eyes, earning a look of sympathy from the otherwise stone-hard girl.

He gave himself a small nod, knowing what he had to do. He took small steps towards the three, his foot and prosthetic leg brushing through the high grass.

He swallowed loudly before he spoke a couple of feet behind the girl, "I-..." He took a deep breath, Y/n could hear that it was already unsteady, "It's okay, you know?" Y/n turned her head slightly, showing that she was listening to him.

"You belong there," Hiccup added, taking a few steps towards the girl, "The three of you." Slowly, the male took ahold of Y/n's dirtied and bruised hand with his leather-covered one, "We don't."

Using his other hand, Hiccup tilted her head towards him, his hand cupping her cheek doing so. A thin layer of tears had forced their way to Y/n's (e/c) eyes. Yet, she gave a small, almost unnoticeable nod in agreement. She didn't want to admit it. Not out loud.

"And that's alright." Hiccup gave her a small row of nods, trying to push his own sadness down as far as he could, he caressed the back of Y/n's hand with his thumb, "We'll find a way to man-"

A quiet cooing was heard, making Y/n turn her head towards it. Toothless purred at the sound, his mouth slowly falling open at the sight of his mate hiding in the high grass.

"Hey!" Toothless leapt between the two, jumping up through the tall grass, "She followed us back!" The male dragon leaps joyfully around his mate, in which the Light Fury pounced on him to play fight.

"Maybe we don't need to say goodbye after all!" Hiccup cheered, not noticing Y/n giving him a sad look.

Toothless licked the Light Fury before running back towards Hiccup and the others, however, the Light Fury staid in her spot. Toothless made a gentle sound gestured to her, trying to convince her to come along him. The Light Fury looks from him, back to where Y/n, Hiccup and Astrid were standing. Her bright blue eyes landing on Y/n, who gave her a small nod. Slowly, the Light Fury started to trace Toothless' steps, "That's it."

"Woohoo! Yeah!" The abrupt shouted made all people as well as Shadow turn their attention to Ruffnut, who landed on a small Scuttleclaw.

"Ruffnut?" Astrid asked in disbelief. The twin of all people had escaped Grimmel.