16 - Drifting Aparty

"Do I have to do this," Max whined.

"Yes," I groaned, "Don't worry. Going in is the worst part. I was scared my first time as well."

"But it's so big."

"Wow. I've never seen you this nervous about anything before."

"I just don't know what to expect."

Max and I had been sitting in my car for about fifteen minutes. He hadn't made eye contact with me since we arrived here. He just kept staring at the entrance to the school.

"There's nothing to worry about," I comforted, resting my hand on his thigh. Max sunk back slightly into his seat when I made contact with him. "There's not much difference than your school in France."

"Except I don't know anyone here," Max retorted, combing his fingers through his dark locks for the umpteenth time this morning.

"How do you think I felt? And it's a Friday, that's the easiest day to start school." Max looked in my direction and his eyes began to brighten up. "And you do know people. If you have any trouble you can come to me, Ellie or Autumn."

Max nodded at me silently and then leaned in closer to me, closing his eyes and pursing his lips. Instinctively I moved closer to him but then, realising where I was, I jolted backwards before our lips could touch.

"What was that?" Max questioned with his upper body still hunched over the centre console. He looked confused. But more importantly he looked upset.

"Sorry. I just-," I exhaled, "I don't know if I'm ready to be... well, to be gay in the world yet."

I could tell Max was still upset by his rigid body language.

"I love you Max," I said wholeheartedly.

"I love you." A smile found its way onto his face and he winked at me as we got out of the car.

Ellie was waiting for us right by the doors. I'm pretty sure she deafened a group of freshmen with the squeal she let out when she saw us. Actually her excitement was mostly for Max.

"I can't believe I'm meeting you in person," Ellie cheered as she practically tackled Max with a hug.

"You weren't kidding Riley. She really is full of energy all the time," Max laughed when Ellie had finally released him form her grip.

"Oh sorry," she pleaded, "I'm just excited to meet the boy who Riley is fawning and oogling over."

"Hey! Remember that I'm trying to keep that secret at the moment," I whispered, glaring at my best friend.

"Sorry. Again." Ellie raised her two hands in fake surrender.

Max got his schedule from the secretary's office and I pointed out where everything was and gave him directions between classrooms. He seemed flustered as he tried to take in all of this new information I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. How I wished I could spend the whole day with him. But ultimately he was a senior and I was a sophomore. We didn't have any classes together. Luckily he had a few classes with Autumn so he wouldn't be totally alone, but that didn't stop me from worrying.

"Riley. Riley," said Ellie, snapping me back to reality.

"Huh?" I muttered. My eyes followed Max across the corridor. He tightly grasped the straps of his backpack and I watched as he disappeared into his classroom.

"He'll be fine," she giggled. She scanned my worry filled face and rolled her eyes. "It's only high school. You're acting like a mom on the first day of elementary school."