27 | Attention

School on Monday is rather eventful, but not the fun kind.

I don't know how things turn out like this, but gossip about the two most popular guys in school getting into a fight over a girl is spreading like wildfire. The moment I step onto the school grounds, I keep receiving odd glances and whispers behind my back. My name leaves their lips every few seconds.

Even Carly, the conceited girl who often tries to flirt with Kyle several times, knocks right into my shoulder in the hallway. She sneers at me, obviously not thrilled after witnessing Kyle and I leave the parties together. Not just once, but twice.

"Watch where you're going, bitch."

I raise a brow at her. "You're the one who bumped into me."

Her blazing eyes narrow, and she advances towards me. Crossing her arms and pushing out her chest as if she's trying to make herself appear more intimidating. "Come again?"

I refuse to back down and give her that ounce of satisfaction. Now that I know she's all lies and ego, I'm not afraid of her. "It's what I've just said — be careful when you're walking next time."

Her lips twist into a nasty snarl. She's about to lunge for me when someone steps in between us—Kyle.

He glares down at her. "What the hell are you doing, Carly?"

"Kyle!" she exclaims, her face crumbling into tears. "I've been trying to reach you, but you never replied to my messages."

He glances at me, his fingers lacing mine, before turning back to the upset girl. "It's because I'm currently on duty 24/7. I only have time for my girlfriend."

Carly's jaw drops and her eyes flicker between us in disbelief. "G-girlfriend? This girl?"

"She has a name, you know, and it's called Riley."

"But Kyle! You barely know her!"

"So? It's none of your business."

"Wh–what about us?!"

He gives her a bored look. "There is never you-and-me in the equation, Carly."

Her face pales in shock. "Kyle!"

"Is annoying people your favorite hobby? If it is, I suggest you go pester somebody else."

He doesn't even give her time to respond before he pulls me away. The crowd that has unknowingly formed around us disperses too, but their stares never seem to go away, and it makes me hugely uncomfortable. Now that Kyle has declared me his girlfriend in front of everybody, I highly doubt they will cease within the week. People will have more topics to talk about now.

He glances at me with concern. "Riley, are you alright?"

I shrug. "Fine." And stares down at our intertwined hands in curiosity. "So we're going to go all public with our relationship?"

"Of course," he answers. "Wouldn't want other guys to come after you. Like Taylor."

I flinch at the memory from last Friday, and Kyle's face immediately softens. He places a hand on my check.

"If he gives you any trouble later, call me right away. Okay?"

I nod in agreement. We head for our lockers that's a short distance away, but I halt in my tracks when I realize that someone has spray-painted on my locker in red, bold words.

SLUT.

Coldness crawls across my skin. I sigh and search for my bag for wet tissues. Great. First, it was my father, then Carly, and now—this. Honestly, why is everyone making a giant fuss out of nothing? What goes on between Kyle and I isn't their business.