Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Is this how it feels to be kidnapped?" I asked my uncle for the fifth time.

"Depends why we're here. It might be human trafficking. Who knows with the old man?" Trey answered me.

We were sitting around a ginormous table, me and all my uncles and aunts, in a private room in a restaurant in fucking New York City.

My grandfather had sent a car and a jet to get me here for the evening. Apparently I had to be at this dinner.

I assumed he was going to throw a butter knife in the room soon, and watch from a balcony as we all fought to the death.

I was the only grandchild around the table. Only my uncles and aunts were there. I guessed it was because at this little family gathering, I represented my father's line of the family.

Finally, my grandfather walked into the room with a gorgeous woman at his arm, greeting us.

Everyone groaned around the table.

We all knew why we were here now.

"Is this serious Dad?" Harvey asked, looking fucking pissed.

I laughed behind my glass. I didn't care about my inheritance, so I didn't care that my grandfather kept growing the ranks of the people to put in his will.

My uncles and aunts cared though.

"Harvey, don't test me," grandfather dearest said, glaring at his son.

"And why are you freaking out Harvey? Clearly you're still not qualified enough to be partner at the firm if you didn't even know our father was seeing another woman," Bill said.

Darren had his arm raised in the air, yelling "WE'RE GOING TO NEED MORE BOOZE HERE."

"Darren, just leave and go piss in a flower pot again, so you can be banned from this restaurant too," Francis another uncle said.

One of my aunts was taking her phone out and making a call.

"What are you doing Jane?" grandfather dearest asked.

"Calling my fucking therapist. I'm going to need to meet him after this."

Trey and I both snorted.

Grandfather dearest just rolled his eyes and finally said, "Sons, daughters, grandson, this is Ekaterina, my fiancée. I popped the question and she said yes. We're getting married next month."

"Why the rush wedding father? Did you knock her up?" Sylvia asked like she already knew the answer.

And my grandfather didn't answer, he just kinda smirked.

Of course he fucking did. That goddamn sperm factory. How could this old man still be fertile?

Everyone started to argue around the table, giving their opinions about this future union while Trey and I just kinda cackled under our glasses.

I had to give it to future wife number nine. She didn't look fazed. She just kept smiling.

You had to be tough to marry this old man.

Finally, grandpa whistled really loudly like we were a hoard of rabid dogs he needed to reign in.

Everyone shut up.

Grandpa started to introduce everyone around the table to his future wife.

Twelve uncles, four aunts, and little old me.

When it got to my turn, the future wife rejoiced and said happily, "Oy, Nikusha, ochen priyatna!"

My whole body froze. All the eyes turned to me. My uncles looked eager for some drama, for a wound they could pounce on. You should never show weakness at my family gatherings. It was ammunition for the future.