Moonlit Waters

The gentle splashing of water is ever present; the air is scented with that characteristic odour it emanates

The gentle splashing of water is ever present; the air is scented with that characteristic odour it emanates. But what is striking and majestic is the Moon right there, hovering over the horizon and over the sea like a supernatural entity. It looks fascinating tonight. It has a blue halo around it and is almost magical looking. I couldn't have chosen a better time, honestly. I snort.

I'm leaning on a railing, and the water is gently rippling under and in front of me. The moon's magical glow is reflected on it. It's creating light in this darkness. It's no longer bleak. It's bright.

I never thought I was strong enough to do this. What was it that led me to this very position? I am standing here right now, and can't help but drive my train of thought, contemplate on my actions, decisions and the happenings which were warnings that I couldn't see.  Are those mistakes of my own making? Is it my fault that I am standing here right now?

I inhale deeply and rub my face. No, I can't ruin this moment now... I can't ruin this beautiful moment. I am lucky to get it. I can't ruin it.

Slowly, I tap my shoes on the bottom of the railing. The metal vibrates and I feel it through my fingertips and my torso.

It's so easy. It's almost stupidly too simple. All that is needed is will. All that is needed is a single leap. And yet... to succeed, it's so much harder. So much more difficult.

This is wrong! This is imbalance! Why is the world like this?!

I blow out some air, watch it fog before my eyes. I need to take this easy. I need peace and solace in these final moments. I need to make them magical. The Moon has awarded me today. I need to act in kind.

I hoist myself on the railing, keeping my foot on the bottom-most bars. It's easy. It's just a drop. No one is around. It would be silent. There will not be any chaos...

I close my eyes and start to hum to myself. It's a beautiful melody. It's almost too beautiful. It's sharp, and distinct. The notes almost make you feel anything you want to. It only amplifies the feeling more. And today, it's the lullaby that I would play for myself. I would sing myself to sleep while only the Moon watched me...

"Hold on! Please don't!" A voice breaks the symphony.

I am terrified.

No... Not now. Why now! Anger boils within me.

"Why are you stopping me? Why are you ruining my moment!" I coldly seethe at the person who's pulling my coat. It's a girl. She looks frightened. Of course she looks frightened.

She starts crying. How pathetic! If anything, I should be the one crying!

"Please, please... don't. I can't... I can't watch this."

"Then don't! Leave me alone! I want my peace! I can't find any if I keep on going like this.," I scold her. I look down. "It's futile. It's meaningless."