Opportunity

How odd.

What's so special being around the popular crowd anyway? Why try and mix with people you don't reciprocate with? It's just not natural, is it? Acting as if you're someone else, giving in to others just because they seem popular- in a way- superior to you. That's so bothersome. Why bend? Why keep up an act? Why try to blend in the first place?

The influx of the crowd was steady. The sky had yet to lose its colours, and here I sat on the stairs, lost in thought, exploring my own being.

It has always annoyed me. Ever since I tried and failed. One learns on the way, doesn't he? Failures, thus, are important.

What about myself? What's it that I have, but others don't share? I don't think people can be that original. Sure, we all have our different origins, but we all are not that different than each other. We have personality types is why.

And hence, bonding with those, with whom you can be yourself with, is what I would call 'friendship'.

But that's what is tough in this world. You never get enough chances to make enough of them. At least I haven't. Am I regretting that right now? Maybe...

I slurp the milkshake completely, until air whooshes in to fill in the gap. I shake the glass a bit just to make sure.

Hmmm, if only there were people who could fill my void like that. Not so predictable as classical physics, are we? Hmph. I smirk.

I envision a trajectory from where I am sitting to the bin that's a few metres from me.

There's no wind, so this ought to be accurate.

I raise my hand, arch a bit backwards, and hurl it with the calculated force.

The plastic transperant glass twirls mid-air as if enjoying it's flight, but it's intercepted before it can land on its destination.

"Hey!"

I ought to have the worst luck.

"Sorry, couldn't really see ya from here," I said, getting up and hurrying to pick up the crashed aircraft. It didn't spill, I had made sure so that's a relief.

"This is horrendous." Not sparing a moment more, the person shifted away from my view and rushed away from where I was kneeling. She had an air of hurry, and a perfume strong enough to linger after her brief stay. Maybe a bit too strong. Plum. That's what she smelled like.

I sniffed it out of my nostrils and breathed fresh air.

Then I proceeded to throw the glass back in the bin. It weefully hit the wall and dove straight down to where it belonged.

I got up, and without looking back went to attend whatever the party had to offer. Nothing but pretense from me. It was just courtesy at this point. Still, one has to respect others' wishes. If few people do that with me, I want to be one of those few for the others.

But inside, where the calamity reigned, nothing but gasps escaped the mouths of the onlookers. Maybe the girl was not pissed at me after all. The place was a mess, and the plum cake lay splattered on the floor, another girl stomping in the other direction.

Something tells me I ought to have looked at that girl outside, not simply ignored her. Maybe before it had hit the floor, it had hit something else or rather, 'someone'.

I snorted. Maybe that was my chance to filling the gap. Too bad at first impressions, aren't I?