7|Their Teacher

" Okay, Harlem. That's it for today. You've been doing good for the past two weeks, but your geometry grades can raise up," I said. I've been tutoring Harlem for a month today, and his grades have improved.

"Thanks, Mr. G. I'm getting better at this, but I'm hungry." He hopped up from the dining table to go to Angel's room.

" Ma, me and Mr. G is hungry," he said to Asteria. She was currently doing her makeup. I was mesmerized by her beauty.

" Let's go get something to eat. Oh and Toota said Kennedi wants your number," she laughed to herself.

" You talkin about the Kennedi that be hanging around the football boys? That's fucked up," I said as we walked to her car.

" I don't want her number. I want Amaya's," he said while rubbing his hands together.

"You act just like your pops," I said.

"How everybody know my daddy but I don't?" I looked at Angel to see her looking out the window.

"Everybody know ya daddy, Harls," I said.

We ordered our food from Bobbie's Burger Shop and decided to eat in the car.

" Ma, can you tell me more about my Daddy?" Harlem said.

"I'll tell you more later, Bubba. I'm not in the mood right now," Asteria said.

"Was he a bad man? Did he hit you or something?" I looked over to Angel to see her reaction.

"He acts just like you Harlem. Looks and acts just like you." The car went silent.

"What did he do to go to jail?" He asked.

"Bad things. Bad things that you will never do, cause he told you not to," she responded.

"What about Amora? Did he know her?" He asked.

"He didn't know her like he know you. You're probably making Mr. G uncomfortable, so let's get off the topic," she said.

"I'm not uncomfortable, Angel. You can keep going," I said.

We threw away our trash and made it home. Amora was staying at a friend's house, so it was just me, Angel and Harlem. I've gotten closer to Angel ever since i started tutoring Harlem, but she avoids certain conversations with me, like the ones about me and her.

"I said we'll talk about it later," Asteria said through gritted teeth.

" Ok, Ma. Chill. I'm bout to go play the game. Good night Ma and Mr. G," he said while hopping out of the car.

It was just me and Angel.

"So you not gonna tell my children that I'm their father?" I asked.

"I don't want to talk about it, Kentrell. Can we just leave it alone for now?" She tried hopping out of the car.

"Why you avoiding it? You not ready for the truth, are you?" I asked her.

"What's the truth? Care to explain?" She sat back down in the car.

I drove on the road to let her clear her mind. It's obvious she has some pint up anger towards me. Mr. Harding taught me about that.

I parked the car in a secluded park.

" Talk yo shit, Angel."

"Why did you have to get me pregnant?" She said.

"What? You saying you don't want our kids anymore?" I asked her.

"I love my children, but they are not supposed to be here. You got me pregnant on purpose," she said.

"It was your idea to have kids. Don't act like you didn't want to fuck me, Angel," I said.