Chapter 7

After her shower, Fern sat on her bed, towel loosely covering her body as she watched the rain. She worried about the animals in the forest, hoping they moved to a safer area until she managed to calm the Thunderbird. The wolf stood abruptly, gaining Fern's attention, and a knock from her door sounded.

"Uh, Fern right, it's Wanda. I was wondering if you had any clothes that might fit me," The small voice came from the other side.

"Yeah, come on in," Fern went to her closet, not only finding herself something to wear but Wanda. They looked to be around the same size when Fern saw her earlier. Pulling on a pair of sweats and a shirt, Fern exited her closet with something similar. "These should do."

"Oh, thank you. Your friend here, he's a little," Wanda paused as she held out her hand to Fern, her eyes never leaving the wolf.

"Protective, I know. He says that he can read souls," Fern chuckled, trapping on the wolf's shoulder to break its stare on Wanda. "Stop staring; you know better." Fern pointed Wanda to her bathroom for her to change; Wanda smiled.

"Has he done that to anyone else? Or often? Does he tell you what he sees?" Wanda asked from the bathroom.

"Well, you're the first humans we've seen in a long time, but he read Bucky. He doesn't always tell me, and I know he leaves things out when he does. But he says that he likes you, that you have a good heart, you're also very powerful." Fern sat back on her bed, resting her hand on the wolf's head as it rested on the edge of her bed.

"Well, that's good. Maybe you should have him read everyone else; maybe you'd feel more comfortable with us being here that way." Wanda smiled, walking from the bathroom. "Sorry, my powers allow me to read emotions and minds, but I wouldn't do that without you knowing. But I can feel that it's strange for us to be here and that you're different around Bucky."

"I've been alone for almost fifteen years; I don't see people often. I try to stay out of town. I've tried to live off the grid as much as possible," Fern shrugged. "It's nice not to be alone."

"You– never mind. Um, Tony wanted to see you in the lab. He had a question," Wanda smiled, walking to the door. "Thank you for the clothes." Wanda was gone, and Fern dreaded talking to Tony; better to get it over with, she thought.

Fern exited her room, feeling the wolf linger behind her, "Come on, you may as well come out of hiding." Fern glanced over her shoulder at him; a small snort was given in return as he followed her through the house to the lab. "Tony, I was told you had another question for me."

"Yes, you never told me that the whole house was wired; why don't you use the A.I?" Tony turned away from her work to look at her. "I shouldn't be shocked, but you do know there's a wolf behind you, right? Another one of your pets?"

"He is not a pet; none of the animals are my pets; they are my friends and family. I don't use the A.I. because it doesn't work most of the time because of the Thunderbird." Fern rolled her eyes. "Is there something more important that you needed from me?"

"Well, I have a few questions about your family, but I can dig into it myself if you'd like. Don't be shocked at what I find, though," Tony shrugged, turning back to the screens.

"Ask away; I'll tell you what I know," Fern sat on the countertop leaning back against a cabinet. She watched as the wolf stalked around Tony. "Don't you dare bite him, he might be arrogant, but he's useful." Fern chuckled as the wolves snarl.

"I'm going to ignore that." Tony looked between the girl and the wolf. "Do you remember exactly what that family member was a super genius for?"

"I think it had something to do with animals and that super soldier serum they used on Steve. Wasn't alive when he was around; most of my family wasn't." Fern watched Tony stop what he was doing and slowly turn to look at her.

"I think I know who you're talking about. He started his research in animals long before the serum; after Steve went into the ice, SHIELD found out that he was trying to figure out how to turn animals into super-soldiers or give super-soldiers companions. To go on missions with." Tony turned back to the computers and began typing, going through his database. "Here it is, Doctor Harver, his research was never finished, and the project was dropped when he passed away."

"It was finished," Fern scuffed. "It wasn't what they wanted it to be, not the results they wanted. SHIELD wanted soldiers, wolves, anything that they could control and use to their will. You're looking at the only survivor, the only test subject to ever show any promising results." Fern watched the wolf growl at her words, warning her.

"So you're telling me this wolf has been alive for over seventy years?" Tony knelt, questioning his decision to do so. The wolf seemed temperamental at the moment. "What can you do?" He asked the wolf expecting Fern to answer for him.

"Everyone, not just Hydra, used Cryofreeze; he's only been awake for a few months. I found him in the basement. He ran off the second he woke up and came limping back a month ago. He says that he can read souls, he's also fast, and I think pretty strong. No, you will not be testing on him." Fern jumped down from the counter, standing between Tony and the wolf. "He says that you're an asshole, but you remind him of someone, so he believes that you aren't all bad."

"Do you think he knew my father?" Tony asked, looking up with curious eyes.

"He doesn't know for sure. It's been a long time, Tony." Fern sighed, holding her hand out for Tony to take, pulling him to his feet. "Earn his trust; maybe he'll tell more. Is there anything else you need from me?"

"No, I know Steve wanted you to get to know everyone better. I believe they're in your living room." Tony shook his head, smiling. Fern didn't say anything, leaving Tony to his work.