Chapter 15

Fern felt hot. She tossed and turned as the heat grew hotter, smoke filling her lungs and her eyes began to burn as she shot up, realizing that she wasn't in her bed. "Fern, child, you need to run."

"What's going on?" Fern dropped to the ground, coughing at the amount of smoke.

"Those bad people have set the forest on fire. You have to run Fern. Run to the lake and join the others. You'll be safe there." Fern turned to look at the Thunderbird standing over her as burnt trees started to fall around them.

"What about you?" Fern's fear grew as she looked into the sad golden eyes of the Thunderbird.

"I will be okay. I am going to put out the fire and take care of those bad people. You must run. Do not stop until you get to the lake. Use your powers if anyone tries to stop you. Protect yourself and the animals." The Thunderbird nudged Fern to her feet, pushing her along the for now clear path out of the fire.

"Don't die, please," Fern ran back to the Thunderbird, crying as she hugged the giant beast.

"Don't worry, child; I won't leave you anytime soon." The Thunderbird pushed Fern with its beak once again. Fern turned back to the Thunderbird for a second, watching it take flight. Thunder clapped, and Fern began to run the path to the lake. Tears racing down her ash-covered face, fear pushing her to run faster until she ran into the shallow water of the lake. The fire continued to grow as the Thunderbird brought the rain and lightning.

"Fern, Fern, wake up. It's okay." Fern gasped, sitting up as a pair of arms wrapped around her. "Hey, it's okay. It was just a dream." Fern turned her attention to Bucky and Tony sitting on both sides of her bed, Ryker laying in her lap.

"No, no, it wasn't." Fern sobbed into Bucky's chest. Bucky wrapped his arms around her, holding her to his chest protectively.

Bucky and Tony shared a concerned look. "What happened, sweetie? What can we do to help you?" Tony whispered, holding her hand tightly in his.

"The fire," Fern coughed out, glancing at Tony for a second. "The one Hydra started."

"Oh, honey, it's okay. You're safe; they aren't here anymore. The Thunderbird wouldn't let anything like that happen again. We wouldn't let anything like that happen again." Tony told her as Bucky rubbed circles in her back. Thunder clapped outside, scaring the trio for a moment.

"She must know that you've had a nightmare," Bucky whispered. He looked to Tony with a slight nod to him to leave them.

"If you need me, I'll be in the lab." Tony kissed the top of Fern's head and quickly walked out of the room.

Bucky picked Fern up and laid them both in bed, and began to hum to her. He rocked them ever so slightly until her sobs began quiet sniffles. "I know this," Fern whispered, looking up at Bucky.

"I hummed it to you when you were scared after Hydra testing. It was the only thing I knew would calm you down. I remember my mother humming it to me when I was young. Steve and I would hum it after a long day on the battlefield." Bucky explained, glancing down at her. He smiled, beginning to get lost in her hazel eyes; they reminded him of the forest: the browns and greens, the hint of gold laced through them looking like lightning.

"I could get lost in your eyes," Bucky whispered, pressing a kiss to Fern's forehead.

"And I could drown in yours," Fern yawned, curling into Bucky's chest. Bucky pushed away from the urge to kiss her, continuing to hum. Soon Fern was quietly sleeping with a smile on her face. She felt safe, something that she didn't know she hadn't felt in a long time.