Chapter 23 - Am I in Danger?

"Blessings and Glory upon the First Star of the Empire. Thank you for sharing your presence with us, Princess Athanasia."

"Thank you for your always warm welcome, Duke Castillo." The two individuals exchanged introductions and smiles like an uncle and niece would do. After all, this was already the third time she had gone there. She had always felt warmly welcomed, no eyes were malicious, nothing seemed to put her in danger.

Of course, Athanasia was already aware of certain things. She knew for a fact that the Duke was already one of the first people to have followed her long before she was crown princess, and just for the respect he had always shown her, she wanted to help him and his dukedom as best she could.

"Please come into my office, you've only just arrived but I already know you like things to be done quickly. I will give you a detailed report on what you need to know, so please follow me." The blonde giggled lightly, greatly pleased with his behavior. She nodded and walked behind him. Soon enough, servants were descending the stairs to the entrance carrying their luggage. The guards who were looking after her security were dispersed all around the property and it was with peace of mind that they arrived at the office. Carsein remained at the door while Lilian took care of Athanasia's more personal business, so she left after signaling her departure.

"As you can see, again this year, everything is in order on our side. The resources are decent, the crime rate quite low... There is no indication that you need to intervene personally, Princess." To illustrate his point, he put the papers in front of her so she could inspect the information herself. She took the sheets one by one and analyzed their contents in a very meticulous way to make sure nothing was missed. But as the Duke said...

"Fantastic! Truly fantastic!" Athanasia put down the last sheet in a frenzy way and clapped her hands together. "I take the liberty to congratulate you, Duke. It's not easy to maintain order and balance over such a large territory, and yet, no matter how many times I visit, I never have to do anything. Impressive, really." She squinted her eyes slightly and brought a hand to her lips. "That's why I like you, you really understand quickly, not like a certain person."

The Duke burst into a hearty laugh at the Princess's honesty. As usual, she didn't mince words, not with him at least. "I am proud to have been able to lift a weight from your shoulders."

"Indeed, I can count on you." She rose from her seat. "By the way, how is the duchess?" The man's face grew brighter.

"She is doing very well! Unfortunately you just missed her, she went to see her family a few days ago."

"If she's okay, that's the main thing. I hope you'll give her my regards as soon as she returns." As he approved with an almost glowing aura, Athanasia allowed herself to leave the room after asking permission to wander around the residence, permission she got without a problem since she now knew the place quite well.

She joined Carsein outside and they walked together, talking about everything and anything as usual. This was one of the moments that Carsein cherished a lot, because his relationship with Athanasia seemed to be the same as it was at the very beginning. When she was outside the palace, she seemed to be freer, calmer and more serene.

And she smiled a lot more too.

So just for that, he wanted to do everything to keep that beautiful smile on her face. So he made her laugh, told her about his adventures in the Castina Empire, told her about Aristia and her sometimes crazy habits.

"I pity your parents, Carsein!" And she burst out laughing. "You already warned me that you could be loud, but not this loud! How do they put up with you?"