Chapter 3 - Debutante

A.N.: Prepare yourself, it might be quite long to read ! Hope you will like it !

. . .

In the big room of the ball, people were discussing among themselves, laughing, meeting or talking about political things. In short, everyone was busy. It's true that it was Athanasia's debut tonight, but the girls were only interested in the handsome boys that there might be in the room. And speaking of handsome boys, there was one who drew attention to himself very well. And that boy was...

Ijekiel Alpheus a.k.a. Jeanette's future fiancé.

His white hair and those golden eyes could make more than one girl fall to the ground. But unfortunately for them, Ijekiel hadn't come alone tonight. He was there as an escort for another person, his dear and tender cousin.

Jeanette Magrita a.k.a. the future Crown Princess.

Being at the side of her cousin and her uncle, Duke Roger Alpheus, she was happily chatting with other girls of her age. Jeanette had been waiting for this ball for years. Why had she been waiting for it? Because she knew that today would be the day when she, her father and her sister would finally be reunited. Thinking back, she suddenly had a slight shock throughout her body that made her startle.

"Lady Jeanette?! Are you all right?" Jeanette brought her hand to her temple and suddenly the pain disappeared. The girls around her looked at her with some anxiety.

"Jeanette, are you all right? If you don't feel well, we can..." Ijekiel, who was standing a bit aside, came closer and held her by the shoulders, looking to see if she had any wounds on her body. But she seemed to be fine physically.

"Don't worry Ijekiel. I'm fine, I just felt dizzy for a while but now I don't feel anything." She turned to him who had already put his hand on one of her cheeks to see if she had a fever. But she had nothing, absolutely nothing. The girls who had been watching them earlier were overwhelmed by the beauty of this "future" couple. The two of them looked so powerful, so divine that no one could take their eyes off them anymore. Yet, to everyone's eyes, Jeanette remained just a normal girl. If only they knew...

Jeanette quickly came to her senses and turned to the girls, assuring them in passing that she was fine before discussing everything again as they had done previously. She didn't know why, but every time she thought of His Majesty and the Princess at her side, a certain part of her told her to run away, to stop, that it wasn't the right thing to do. But soon after, this feeling was gone and all Jeanette's doubts disappeared as she thought about her future with her whole family. She didn't even pay attention to it a few minutes later when her uncle introduced her to other nobles in the hope of expanding her connections with the high society.

Roger Alpheus, a very ambitious man, was waiting for this day as much as Jeanette. In fact, it was today that his future would take a completely different path. When he would have presented Jeanette to the emperor and when she would have his favors, he would have arranged for Ijekiel and Jeanette to marry, thus his son would become emperor and the Alpheus would then have complete control over the crown and his descendants. The Duke knew of Athanasia's situation, so he had no need to fear any rivalry with Jeanette. Moreover, Jeanette had been born to Penelope Judith, a noble and the former fiancé of Claude, while Athanasia was only the daughter of a poor dancer from Siodonna who, moreover, had no social status. Roger sneered while looking towards the throne where a blond man was installed.

Claude de Alger Obelia, the current emperor, was installed, legs crossed and dressed in a formal habit, on his throne. With a hand holding his head, he seemed completely disinterested in what could happen around him, and it was the case. If he was there, it was just because a member of the royal family - although he would have liked otherwise - was celebrating his debut in high society. Claude was only there for appearances, but he didn't give a damn what happened to the other thing that had the audacity to call itself a princess. He cared so little that he would have already left if he hadn't been held back by Felix Robane, his personal royal knight.