Chapter 3

Chapter Three

"So, we'll meet at mine at 8:00pm," Fallon said, eyeing us until we both nodded.

We were sitting on the back of a bench, our feet on the seat, discussing our plans for the weekend. This was our usual lunchtime hangout spot as it provided excellent views of the guys playing football.

I wasn't enjoying it as much as usual because my ex-boyfriend was having too much of a good time with his mates. I'd suggested we go someplace different, but Fallon felt it best he see I'm not bothered. This had forced me to be more enthusiastic about clubbing than I might have; at least it was a distraction.

"Can I stay over? There's no way mum'll let me stay out that late." Arizona begged Fallon.

"Sure. What about you, Kiely?"

"I got away with sneaking out Christmas Eve; sure I can do it again," I smirked. It wasn't like me to be rebellious, but I didn't feel much like myself anymore. Like a bucket of cold ice over my head, I sobered upon seeing her bright red hair and loose curls bobbing along the sidelines. Jace spotted his best friend, Mariah. She'd never come to watch him play before but he ran up to her cheering her nickname "Freckles. You came."

I wanted to puke. I wanted to rip her hair out. My blood chilled.

The other lads all taunted and jeered, picking up on the change in their relationship. It was so obvious, like a bitch slap across the face.

"Oh my god! He's not seriously seeing her? The ugly side-bitch friend?" Fallon spat.

I felt betrayed. I'd lent her my dress so she could go to the mistletoe disco. And she'd stolen my boyfriend!

I gritted my teeth to force myself not to cry in front of everyone. I didn't dare move. I was using all my strength to hold myself together as I watched Jace place a kiss on Mariah's forehead. My breathing came in short sharp bursts.

"How dare she come here! She's gonna get what's coming to her. Don't you worry!" Fallon pushed herself up off the bench and started making her way over to Mariah.

My nails dug into my palms as I watched Fallon confront Mariah. I couldn't make out what Fallon was saying, but I prayed for Mariah to say something stupid.

I'd been so nice to her, understanding that he was her friend and they didn't see each other often since the move. I had cancelled dates for her... only for her to take him away from me. Why couldn't she have let Jace and I be happy? I wished for Fallon to pound her face in. Maybe, with a broken nose and missing teeth, Jace would return to me.

"Are you okay?" Arizona whispered into the silence.

I hate it when people ask me that when I'm trying to hold back tears. Their kindness is like fire licking across my eyeball, forcing me to acknowledge the pain of my losing battle. I jumped up from the bench and grabbed my bag, racing into the school.

I could hear Arizona calling my name, chasing after me, but it made me run faster. I didn't want to talk. I wanted to forget. I wanted to be lost in a kiss that took the pain away.

I was heading to the girls' toilets when I realised it was the first place Arizona would look for me. So, I kept going; Out the side doors and off school grounds. Once free from the building, I stopped and drew in a long breath.

The person I was becoming was a stranger to me. I'd never been late for a lesson, never ran out of the school, and I'd never before wished someone harm.

I felt like a fool. Deep down, I knew they liked each other. I knew they were more than friends, but convinced myself it was paranoia or jealousy. And, I wanted to believe Jace when he told me I had nothing to worry about. If I dug deep enough, that's why I was really mad.