Epilogue

Katherine

One year later

She read over the email once more:

Dear Miss Jefferson,

My name is Giles Branson, and I own Winterderby Estate, about an hour outside of the city. I was wondering if you'd be willing to do a piece on the property. People have been spreading rumors about it being haunted. I figured a write-up in your column might convince people once and for all there are no ghosts here.

Look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,

Giles Branson

She had agreed to meet Mr. Branson at the manor this afternoon. She was looking forward to it. One thing Katherine absolutely loved was a good mystery.

After a quick shower, she got dressed and gathered everything she'd need for the assignment.

When she got there, she was immediately drawn to Gothic architecture. She went up to the front door and rang the bell, but no one answered.

"Hello, Mr. Branson?"

She was preparing to knock when the door creaked open wide enough for her to peek inside.

"Mr. Branson?" she called again.

Katherine stepped inside the megalithic space and immediately became enthralled by what she saw.

The house was stunning, breathtaking, really. Its beauty inside was a stark contrast to the imposing exterior. While the outside lived up to its name as a haunted house in all appearances, the inside was warm and inviting.

Her eyes immediately traveled to a framed portrait of a man with dark brown hair and deep chestnut eyes. She felt drawn to him.

Suddenly, a gust of wind surrounded her, causing her to stumble, but she grabbed the railing of the nearby staircase and stayed upright. When she turned around to look for the source, she nearly jumped out of her skin at the tall, handsome man standing in such proximity.

Upon closer inspection, she realized he was the spitting image of the man in the portrait. Perhaps he was a descendant of the original owners?

"Mr. Branson?"

The man with chestnut eyes studied her for a long moment. His gaze was filled with such intensity and... longing it took her breath away.

She extended her hand. "Hello, I'm Katherine Jefferson. Nice to meet you."

He accepted her hand, his thumb tracing delicate circles over her skin that sent shock waves through her.

"How are you sure it's nice to meet me when you don't know who I am?" he teased in his sexy British accent. "I could be a dark and sinister man, Miss Katherine."

The tantalizing way he said her name lit a fire in between her thighs. There was something about this man. Something oddly familiar.

"I'll take my chances, Mister....?"

"Reginald Eisenhower IV."

What a mouthful.

"Do you know where Mr. Branson is? I have a meeting with him this afternoon."

The stranger's eyes twinkled with amusement. "He should be here any moment. Can I get you anything, Katherine? Tea? Biscuits?"

"No, I'm fine, thank you."

She felt a sudden chill creeping up her spine, an eerie feeling overwhelming her senses. She definitely knew this man. But how?

"Perhaps I should wait outside until Mr. Branson gets here."

"Indeed, you could. Or..."

"Or?"

"Or we could find a way to pass the time together."

She had to admit she was intrigued by his proposition. What did that say about her?

"How do you suggest we do that, Reggie?"

He smiled devilishly as he said, "Let's play a game."

*****

Thank you for reading!

If you enjoyed Her Ghostly Dom, check out more Wattpad stories by Misha Howse!