Chapter 24: Centaurs

.

When Alec, Zeus and I reached the army camp about fifteen minutes after running into Eros, not many people were still awake, but it was past ten o'clock, after all. The few satyrs and nymphs that were milling about gave us short nods as we passed by, though they didn't say anything. Nevertheless, Zeus and I slowly walked Alec into one of the large tents that was filled with cots, and we carefully set him down on an empty one in the corner. I did a quick scan of Alec's bandages to make sure they were good for the night before turning back around to face Zeus.

Zeus yawned, stretching out his arms. "I don't know about you, but I'm way too tired to walk all the way back home. We probably wouldn't get there until almost midnight, anyway," he said, hinting at the fact that he wanted to spend the night at the camp. I nodded in agreement, and he continued, "I'm going to talk to Pan real quick. I think I saw him around here somewhere..."

With that, Zeus excused himself and quietly walked outside, careful not to disturb any of the other sleeping soldiers. I sighed and looked back down at Alec, who was trying to hide the pain that he was in by plastering the phoniest smile I had ever seen onto his handsome face. I rolled my eyes at him and murmured, "You should get some rest."

"Fine. But you're staying here for the night, right?" he clarified, his voice hopeful.

I rolled my eyes at him again, deciding not to answer his rhetorical question as my mind abruptly flashed back to Eros and the whole prophecy. It was silent in the tent for a moment as I chewed on my lip thoughtfully, running my fingers through my long, dark hair. Alec narrowed his eyes, wondering what I was thinking about, and he stealthily slid his hand over mine in an effort to comfort me somehow, but I moved mine away from his and back into my lap, nervously avoiding his enchanting gaze. I knew now that trying to fight the prophecy was useless, but I also knew what terrible things the future held, and I would have been cruel to give Alec false hope of any kind. Because no matter what anyone does to try to deter an event, the Fates must always get their way.

"You should not have started this war, Alec," I whispered solemnly, closing my eyes and lowering my head.

Taking offense to my comment, Alec tensed up immediately. He frowned, tightening his grip on the edge of the cot, and argued fiercely, "Maybe you should have tried harder to stop me. Given me a sign, or something like that."

I just sighed. "I should have done a lot of things. But it's too late now."

At this, Alec backed off a bit. He narrowed his eyes, studying me a little closer than before, though I only frowned at my shoes in silence. He probably sensed that I was angrier with myself than with him. I hoped he knew that would always be the case. 

Alec just gulped, scratching his head a bit guiltily. "Do you think that was the only reason the Oracle sent me the vision? To start the war?"

I bit my lip, wishing yet again that I could tell him about the second part of the prophecy. But all I could do was shake my head and tell him honestly, "I don't think what you were meant to do matters as much as what you make of the whole situation. Look at it this way: You became a hero and befriended the gods. Not much compares with that."

I must have said the right thing because the young hero only smiled weakly and nudged me in the side with his elbow. I, however, rolled my eyes at him and stood up, ready to go to bed on my own cot, though his sigh, a mixture of happiness and longing, stopped me in my tracks. 

Suddenly, as if from an outside perspective, I heard the sound of my own voice cut through the sound of snoring soldiers and ask, "Alec, why do you love me?" Even though I was pretty sure I already knew why, part of me must have wanted to hear it straight from him.