Chapter 11: Return of the Monsters

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I finally reached the Fire Pit (Have I mentioned how huge the woods are?), I saw my mother sitting outside, alone at a round table set for two. I sighed and sat across from her, then pushed my side bangs out of my eyes and asked cautiously, "Are you okay, Mom?"

She dabbed her big brown eyes with a napkin, then looked into my eyes, "I'll be fine, sweetie." I gritted my teeth when she called me "sweetie," and leaned back in my chair, slightly annoyed. Anyone could clearly see that she was not fine at all.

"Don't give me that. Just go home, and I'll close up the antique store today," I told her, hoping she would do what I asked and feeling even more like a parent than usual, when I had to keep the guys from doing something stupid. My mother shook her head and opened her mouth to respond, but I interrupted, "Mom, just do go home. Please."

"Oh, I guess I can go." Then she nodded reluctantly, slowly got up off the chair, and started the short walk home. I stood up when she left and was about to walk next door to close the old antique shop for the day, when my other mother popped her head out of the Fire Pit.

"Will your mother be okay?" Martha asked me, her eyebrows knit together with worry. Not really wanting to talk to anyone, I simply nodded and bid her farewell.

So, I walked into the antique shop next door, ignoring the ring of the tiny bell, and then turned around to flip the sign in the display window so that it read "Closed" instead of "Open." Then I wove my way through the maze of antique chairs, tables, and miscellaneous items and sat down at my mother's cluttered desk in the back of the store, facing the quiet entrance. I flipped through the many papers on the desk, but I didn't find anything interesting or worth reading, so I just leaned back in the chair and closed my eyes for a minute, deep in thought.

Eventually, after spending quite a long time staring blankly off into space, I picked up the phone on the desk and dialed my father's cell phone number automatically, almost like a robot. I wasn't sure why or how I had memorized my father's cell phone number because I had never bothered to call him before, so I figured it was one of those unexplained, godly things that came with being Athena and therefore knowing everything.

I waited while the phone rang and rang, and rang, until a monotone voice told me to leave a message, so I barked angrily, "Where the hell are you? And why did you just leave without warning? I can't believe you're giving up on Mom! She needs you. Can't you see that? I'm not even sure why she cares about you, but she does. So, call me back when you get this message." I didn't even leave my name or number. Oh well, I was sure my father would recognize my voice.

After that, I went outside and locked the wooden door behind me before heading home, mindlessly kicking tiny rocks as I went along, bored out of my mind. Within a few minutes, I had finally reached my empty house, which seemed to sag slightly in its foundation due to the lazy summer heat, like most of the others in town, but its gray color just made the house look sad. Shaking off my depressed thoughts, I went straight up to my room and did nothing but homework for my online college classes the entire afternoon. I didn't even care that I had not eaten lunch yet. I wasn't particularly hungry, to be honest.

Around six o'clock, I realized that my mother was probably going to stay in her room crying the whole night unless I made some dinner, so I lazily stumbled down the stairs and cooked some mac'n cheese. I sat at the kitchen table alone, finishing up my dinner whilst staring at the phone on the granite counter-top, and waiting for my father to call. He certainly had some explaining to do.

After another hour of staring at the phone some more and reading my newest book, I determined that my father was going to keep being a jerk and to not even bother to call. Sighing, I got up off the chair and started my way up the stairs. "Mom! Dinner is in the kitchen," I yelled towards her bedroom door before I walked into mine.