MATTERS OF THE HEART

When the conversation took a turn to relationships, Wayans and Tan both leaned back and away from each other, creating some sort of space between them. Even before we started this topic, everyone in the room knew that it was bound to be a touchy one between these long-time friends.

Relationships weren't a new thing to Wayans, who, since being in the spotlight for the last six years, has been linked to various women. He, however, admitted to just having three serious relationships, two of them prior to meeting Tan (model Cecily Carmens and Grammy-winning pop star Tamara Leeds). Both relationships were short-lived, neither longer than six months.

"Since I met her, the only relationship I had was with Helena [Callum]," Wayans said, pertaining to his one-year relationship with the Political Science major. They split up amicably last December, with some interviews quoting Callum that "it wasn't going to work in the first place because he wasn't in love with me."

When asked about this, Wayans dropped his head low for a moment before glancing at Tan. She held his gaze, but it was pretty evident how hard that feat was for her. "I loved her, but she was right—I wasn't one hundred percent into the relationship," Wayans admitted. "And it was unfair to put her in that situation."

On the flipside, Tan hasn't been in any relationship. "I've had close calls, but I guess it's just that fear that stops me each time—the fear of giving it your all, loving so much that you'd end up losing yourself, and hurting the person you love. What if your everything isn't enough for that someone?"

But didn't Wayans set her up on dates with his friends?

Tan grinned, saying that she prefers someone outside of Wayans' circle. "It's not that there aren't any of Marcus' friends to like, but...I just don't want to put him in a bad position if things go south."

Wayans was shaking his head, looking stern as if he was about to give his B a lesson. "Now this is why you never got into relationships. It isn't because you're scared. It's because you end things in your head before they even start. You overthink it."

Tan looked like she was going to deny it, but Wayans' eyes had so much intensity in them that she just nodded. "I'm working on that," was all she said, and Wayans looked like he didn't believe her.

*****

HAVE THEY EVER...?

To make things even more interesting (or in Wayans and Tan's case, awkward), Insider invited them to play a game of Have You Ever, confirming or denying any rumour, activity, or feelings ever linked to them. Dig in with us as we discover more of their relationship:

· Hugged? Wayans said Tan gives the best hugs, describing his B's hugs as 'coming home.' Tan refuted this, saying Wayans has the best hugs, which feel like 'hot chocolate, a good book, and bed during a rainy day.' Yeah, alright, we let them flip a coin to determine the winner for best hug instead. (Marcus won.)

· Slept in the same bed? "Yes, which can be really tricky since he sleeps nude," Tan teased. Oh, shush, Tan—it's a nice problem to have.

· Held hands? "All the time," said Wayans, grabbing Tan's hand and locking fingers with her.

· Gotten a tattoo for each other? "Out of the five tats I have, three of them were because of Marcus," Tan said, showing us the string of tattoos on her left wrist: the tiny dark blue key tattoo which Wayans confirms he had put on her, MJW (J for James), Wayans' initials in blood red next to the key, and the words Take a risk & fight underneath them. Why would Wayans inspire a risk-taking tattoo?

Wayans also has three tattoos relating to Tan: her initials CST (S for Samantha) right next to the lock tattoo on his chest, a line from her favourite Temper Trap song Sweet Disposition that talks about not surrendering, and the same flock of birds tattoo she had on her right shoulder on his right shoulder.

· To Wayans: Written a song about Tan? Wayans admitted to having written songs about Tan, who reveals she only knows about two songs. Wayans grinned when he said, "There are six songs out there that are about you."

· Kissed (on the lips, like full-on kiss): There were a few seconds of silence before Wayans revealed that they have, in fact, kissed. "I am her first kiss," he said in a serious tone. "At the risk of sounding virginal, yeah, I had my first kiss at twenty-five," Tan joked.

· Thought 'I can fall in love with this person': Now this was where things got really interesting. Nobody wanted to speak first, which automatically meant 'yes' in most books. Wayans finally spoke, his tone solemn as he said, "I have, and I was, but I'm not anymore."