13. The truth

As I was walking through the school halls searching for Sofía, a tiny part of me was hoping that Monty would come from me, that she would drag me to her classroom and help me calm down, telling me that I have to think before acting. And it isn't s that I'm suddenly not mad at Sofía, or that I don't want to end this once and for all, but...I'm wearing a cast, I'm definitely going to lose every fight I get into, I'm in disadvantage here.

Monty stayed in her classroom, frowning and biting her lower lip, there was something off about her today; I know we were closer somehow, but today in specific...today she was acting pretty off. But to be fair, I was acting pretty off too, I have gotten overemotional with her almost every time I've seen her, and I know I can trust her and confide in her with my vulnerability, but still...I was used to not showing my emotions to anyone; but what I can't deny is that I'm glad it's her the one I've show how I truly feel.

Is our bond stronger than a friendship tho?

Fortunately, before I had time to really think about Monty and my complicated feelings for her. Sofía came into view, cutting my thoughts short. I hurried towards her, being careful of not losing another fight against the floor.

"Hey, Sofía!" I yelled, and not one, but three heads snapped at my direction as soon as those words let my mouth.

"I...was going to say something, but you're wearing a cast" Nikki said clearly surprised by my neon color cast.

"I thought something for a second" Val said with her eyes wide open. "But then I felt like trash" she added, with a sad pout.

I got closer to the trio, ignoring what they said previously and just making a beeline towards them. And I don't know if I was glad that I found them together, or if I was somehow worried that three against one weren't good odds.

"I need to talk to all of you" I said, deciding that it was time for Nikki and Val to face their truths too.

They looked at each other and then at me, as if they heard wrong and I was crazy by just doing the mere act of suggesting that we needed to talk.

"You know, I'm sorry that you injured your am...but I'm not that sorry to actually have lunch with you" Nikki replied in an oddly nice tone, like actually feeling sorry for my arm...but still not wanting me anywhere near her.

"Look, I'm not in the mood for jokes right now, and I don't wanna make a scene, but if you prefer me telling Sofía the truth about everything out here in the open with everyone watching, I really don't care" I said, having enough of everybody's jokes and side comments.

Nikki and Val looked at each other, her eyes wide and her faces pale. Sofía who haven't said anything, bit her lip and looked at me intensely. Without waiting for Nikki or Val's reaction, she motioned me to go outside with her. Thirty seconds passed and then Val and Nikki were following us, talking among themselves hurriedly.

"We can talk here" Sofía said when we arrived at the school backyard which was in front of an almost finished construction that blocked the view, and for that very same thing, the place was deserted. It seems like no one wanted to spend their lunch watching people pour cement into the ground.

"Kate, what are you going to tell her?" Val asked worriedly, and Sofía looked at her in a heartbeat.

"What do you guys know that I don't?" Sofía asked, sensing the nervousness in Val's voice.

"I-..." Val started, but soon the words got caught up in her throat when she saw the intensity of my gaze, I had made up my mind about telling everything to Sofía.