7. Secrets

"Yeah, that's what besties are for" I said looking down, suddenly feeling very shy and tingly.

Sooner than what I would have liked, Miss. Montgomery let go of my hand and looked at me expectantly. I didn't want to put much thought into why I was missing her hand on mine so much, so instead I focused on the story and secrets I was about to tell her.

"Well, there's more to the story that everyone knows... " I started, drifting off and thinking how much I should tell her about the many lies in which our relationship was based on.

Miss. Montgomery leaned closer to me with a worried expression. "Kate I was joking earlier you know? I'm not annoyed by you here, I really want to be here for you and you don't have to tell me anything if you don't-" she started but I cut her off.

"No no, I want to tell you" I reassured her. "This might sound really cringe, but you really are the closest thing I have to a friend right now" I said biting my bottom lip, I didn't know why I was letting myself be so real and vulnerable with my English teacher, but I just felt like we had a connection.

She surely was a nice person, a way too nice person, because that playfulness with what she was always teasing me with, disappeared as soon I became emotional with her. She was about to say something, but I cut her off again, too scared to hear what she was going to say. I'm never emotional, not in front of anyone, but I felt as if I could let all my emotions out right here and right now, only for her to see.

"Wow, you can't let a little cry manipulate you! There are awful and manipulative people out there! " I said playfully. "And...I like the chase" I said in a flirtatious manner that didn't went unnoticed by her.

"Just when I thought I was starting to like you" she whispered smiling, she definitely likes me.

"I only heard 'Kate you're my favorite person in the whole world and I like you so so much'; so, back to the story again" I said clasping my hands together while she smiled at me.

"My parents found out about us, and they were thrilled, it was the first time I've ever felt like they were proud of me, and just because I was dating Sofía" I said with a half-smile.

"And...at first it was ok, because I knew better than everyone how great Sofía was- is...how great she is" I corrected. "But then...it all became too much" I said shrugging my shoulders with a pained expression.

"I started feeling like my relationship wasn't mine, my parents were telling me what to do and saying that they would make me CEO of their company but just if I married Sofía, I was 16 back then and someone was already talking about marriage? Then here on school, everyone was trying to tear us apart because they wanted to be with her" I said shaking my head.

"So...you were jealous?" Miss. Montgomery asked, some kind of understanding of the situation glistening in her eyes.

I wasn't trying to take the blame off me, but for some reason I wanted Miss. Montgomery to know that I wasn't that bad. Even though I can't tell her the secrets that I'm carrying, I want her to know my version of the story.

"I mean, I guess you could say I was" I accepted. "My relationship didn't feel like it was mine, I felt like I was running towards someone who wasn't even walking to get to me...and in top of that there were tons of people in my way" I sighed.

Miss. Montgomery scrunched her nose and tilted her head, lost in thought. "Are you saying you think Sofía didn't love you back?" she asked carefully.

I rubbed my face with my hand. "I'm saying...that she always had it easy, she gets to be everyone's queen and still act like she never wanted it. And me, I had to exhaust myself to be likeable even to my own parents and I didn't get nothing in return" I tried explaining to a confused Miss. Montgomery.