Meatloaf

Make no mistake. Paula was on tenterhooks while she waited with Julian for his dad to arrive at the hospital emergency room. She alternated between anticipation at meeting the man with the sexy voice, and anxiety and embarrassment that she was excited to meet someone's husband or partner.

And then Julian let slip that it had always been just him and his Paps.

Thank you, God!

Uhm...Right.

She almost fainted the first time she saw him striding toward them. He was simply clad in a light pink shirt that contrasted with his shoulder-length jet-black wavy hair which he wore in a half-ponytail. He towered over almost everyone and with the confidence he exuded, it was hard to not be aware of him.

When he got near, she had to bite down hard on her lip to keep from tearing up at how much love he had for his son and was not afraid to show it. She knew that children would always be their parents' babies no matter how old they got. But somehow, a doting father to a son was a more adorable sight to her than anything else.

She decided right there, the man's voice was definitely more than a match for his looks.

There was no chance for them to talk other than the once in a while question-and-answer exchange pertaining to Julian. So it thrilled her no end when he invited her to have dinner with them.

A man who cooked. Lord in heaven.

"Our family loves to eat," he told her as he handed her a glass of red wine. "I grew up helping my mom or my dad in the kitchen."

"You didn't think of becoming a chef?" She took a seat on one of the high stools at the dining table across from him.

"Not really." He popped open a can of beer for himself and took a swig. "I don't have the patience for it. I just like cooking for my family. And occasionally, for friends and guests who come over for a visit."

She laughed. "At least you can cook. I can't cook for the life of me, no matter how much my mom tried to teach me. Because of that, I only have foodstuff in my pantry and ref that don't require cooking: Cereal and ingredients for smoothies. Otherwise, I order in or eat out."

"That's not so bad." He looked at her, a smile on his lips, and she felt her heart flutter.

Paula had not had a chance to take a really good look at him until then, and she thought it would be so easy to fall for that handsome face. Deep set eyes the color of midnight, patrician nose, squarish jawline roughened by several days' worth of facial hair. She felt this almost uncontrollable urge to run her fingers through his hair and taste the droplet of beer on his full lips.

Reluctantly, she looked away. "Julian said it had always been just the two of you."

"Yeah." He nodded, taking another swig of beer. "His mom was my sister."

"Was?"

"She died soon after giving birth."

"I'm so sorry to hear that." On impulse, she reached out and placed her hand on his forearm across the table.

They both jumped in shock. She wasn't sure if it was static, or that neither of them was expecting the skin-to-skin contact. Whatever it was, they were both hyper-aware now of each other.

"I'm sorry." She retrieved her hand but he was quick to hold on to it.

"It's alright," he said and held on tight. "She was older than me. And from the start of her pregnancy, she had been doing it alone. When my newborn nephew was orphaned, I told our parents I'd raise him as my own. His father wasn't interested in him. I am going to make damned sure Julian would never feel like he was not wanted. And so, straight out of college, I became a single dad."

Could any guy be more perfect?

"You're doing a great job," she affirmed.

It might have been the lighting, but she could swear he blushed.

"I try." He bit his lip and she wondered if he might be trying to seduce her. She would have to say he did not have to try so hard.

"What about you?" He turned to check on the meatloaf in the oven. "Have you always wanted to be a nurse?"

"Yes, and care for kids," she nodded. She was going to say more but Juan had taken the dish out and placed it on the center of the table. The delicious aroma prompted her stomach to make embarrassingly funny noises. "Oh my goodness."

He laughed. Loud and rich and full.

"Are we eating yet?" Julian magically popped out from his bedroom, no doubt lured by the mouthwatering smell of Juan's meatloaf.

The hungry teenager made a beeline for his place at the table and began to scoop huge amounts of rice as his father sliced a chunk of the savory brick of meat for him.

And with that, the magic that she felt had been blossoming between her and Juan Pablo was put on hold for the time being. On hold while they had dinner and while Julian was there, she was sure of it. Because if the way Juan looked at her and the way her heart and body responded were to be believed, this scenario would only be the first of many for them.