eight

I have always thought that an appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals. It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and, this author hopes, inspires more newsworthy pursuits. A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attractions will be on display... like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season. Of course, there is today's royal attraction as well, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. His Highness has come to our shores in want of a fine Fräulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper House all week?

With the new wing of the Somerset house opening today I thought it a good chance to bring Ezra out with my siblings and I. Eloise spots Penelope the moment we cross the threshold. Ezra takes off running with Hyacinth and Gregory. Anthony and Mama walk arm and arm.

Mama is pointing out suitors for Anthony. "Miss Anna Vaughn. Speaks several languages, I hear. Miss Mary Egglesfield. She's meant to be quite the reader."

"Were I looking for a list of debutantes and their dubious accomplishments, I could have stayed home and read Lady Whistledown," Anthony tells Mama.

"That's enough from you," Mama says.

She tries to grab onto Benedict's arm. "No, no, no." Benedict grabs onto my arm instead. "I promised Betty we would look through the galleries together."

I smile at Mama. "I am so looking forward to it."

Mama nods. "Alright. Colin."

I walk off with Benedict.

"You are lucky to have a sister who shall lie for you," I tease.

Benedict laughs. "And I have told my fair share of lies for you, sister."

"Well we may as well have a look around," I tell him.

Benedict and I stand in front of a painting. His brows furrow as he thinks about it.

"Quite dull, would you not agree?" I offer.

"It is terribly familiar, yet I am sure this is the first time I have seen it," Benedict states.

"That is because, like all of these paintings, it was done by a man who sees a woman as a decorative object," I tell him.

"Now that you mention it it does appear that these women are like.. Human vases," Benedict admits.

We move over to the next painting finding ourselves standing next to Lady Danbury and another man.

"It's much too cold. Where's any sense of the subject's spirit? And the light! Given the quality, I do wonder why the piece was not skyed with the other daubs," Benedict states.

"Perhaps we should ask the artist," Lady Danbury offers.

"That would be something, Lady Danbury," Benedict tells her.

"Mm..." Lady Danbury turns to the man next to her. "Mr. Granville, why was your piece not skyed?"

Benedict looks panicked. "Mr. Granville, I..."

"If you will excuse me, um, I must find my wife," Mr Granville says before walking off.

"You diabolical... How could you let me rattle on like that?" Benedict questions.

"How could I not, my dear Mr. Bridgerton?" Lady Danbury counters.

I chuckle. "It was riotously funny, you must admit."

I slip away from Benedict. Enjoying the paintings on my own. I walk into one of the galleries and see Simon standing there all by himself.

"What are you doing, hiding away in here?" I ask.