thirteen

Today is our audience with Her Majesty. Mama, Lady Danbury, Simon, and I stand before her. Lady Danbury approaches Her Majesty and curtsies.

"As low as you can go, Lady Danbury?" Her Majesty questions.

"With these knees, yes, Your Majesty," Lady Danbury tells her.

"Very well," Her Majesty says. "Let your young people come forward." Simon and I both step towards Her Majesty. I curtsy as Simon bows. "I have heard a rumor that the special license you seek to marry has been denied. I am not quite sure what you believe I am to do about it. Well, plead your case."

"Your Majesty, I assure you nothing untoward has occurred. It is only that we love each other so very much," I tell her. "I... I simply could not ignore my long-standing affection for the duke. You see, Your Majesty, it was love at first sight."

"It was not, Your Majesty," Simon counters. "The young lady flatters me, but it was not love at first sight for either of us. There was attraction, certainly, at least on my part. But Lady Blackmore thought me presumptuous, arrogant, insincere. All fair, really. And I thought her a prim young lady stepping out in her first season since her husband's death. Not to mention the sister of my best friend, and so romance was entirely out of the question for both of us. But in so removing it, we found something far greater. We found friendship. You see, Miss Daphne Bridgerton and I have been fooling all of Mayfair for some time. We have fooled them into thinking we are courting... when really, all along, it was Lady Blackmore and who were simply enjoyed each other's company so much we could not stay away from one another. I have never been a man that much enjoyed flirting, or chatting, or, indeed, talking at all. But with Betty... Lady Blackmore... conversation has always been easy. Her laughter brings me joy. To meet a beautiful woman is one thing, but to meet your best friend in the most beautiful of women is something entirely apart. And it is with my sincerest apologies, I must say it took her sister coming along for me to realize I did not want Lady Blackmore to only be my friend. I wanted her to be my wife. I want her to be my wife. And so I plead with you... not to make us wait."

I can feel myself tearing up. "Simon..."

"You are wise or perhaps unusually lucky to understand friendship to be the best possible foundation a marriage can have. Even if that foundation should crumble as quickly as it was built." Her Majesty turns to look at me. "I shall like to offer you the choice, Lady Blackmore. Do you wish to marry this man?"

That was all I needed to hear to convince myself that this marriage between Simon and I will not all be a lie. Benedict is a bit miffed that I asked Anthony to walk me down the aisle. He said it was absolutely unfair since Anthony got to walk me down the first time.

The ceremony is incredibly small. Just my family, Lady Danbury, and Simon's friend Will Mondrich and his wife Alice.

Dearly beloved, we are gathered to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony. It is said that marriage hath in it less of beauty but more of safety than the single life.

I tune out what the archbishop is saying. All I can do is look at Simon.

...in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. I now pronounce you man and wife.

The reception is one big party. Though I've hardly had the chance to speak with Simon. As I walk towards him Cressida steps in front of me.

"Your Grace. I suppose congratulations are in order. We being friends, after all," Cressida tells me. "I do hope you will remember my kindness in keeping secrets and repay me someday. Enjoy your triumph, Your Grace."

I still cannot get to Simon. This time it is Her Majesty who steps between us.

"Your Majesty," I greet. "I must say, I am honored and most grateful for your presence."