26

Maria watches Taehyung paint quietly from her seat on the couch. He looked quite beautiful when he was in his element, his fingers dragging different sorts of colors across the canvas to develop a piece of art.

Jimin was out, Iris was showering, so the two sat in a comfortable silence. Maria didn't necessarily find it awkward, as it was peaceful to watch him paint, and Taehyung was morphing into the role of a big brother anyway.

"What's wrong?" Taehyung asks suddenly, startling her.

Maria fiddles with her fingers and shifts in her seat. "Jungkook approached me."

She expected him to stop, or maybe yell at her, but he continued to paint calmly.

"Talk to me, Maria," he says softly. "What about him is bothering you?"

"I just... don't understand, I guess," she frowns. "Everyone seems to hate him so much. I'm not saying what he did to you guys isn't awful, but he's just so.... He's nice to me? I don't know."

Taehyung dips his paintbrush into a glob of dark blue paint before speaking. "You have to understand that, back then, Jimin, Jungkook and I were like three peas in a pod. He was never as close as Jimin and I, of course, but he was like our little brother. His dad was always busy at the station and he needed someone to confide in"

"We did a lot of stupid shit together. Made a lot of memories. Except, he always was a goody two shoes," Taehyung chuckles, almost fondly. "Ayway, he always looked up to his dad. So when the old bastard passed away, Jungkook thought it was his destiny to take after him. And being a cop didn't exactly align with me and Jimin's morals."

Taehyung's brush pauses on his canvas. "It hurt. When he told us to leave, I mean. He told us he wouldn't protect us anymore. But... I just—I still..."

"You still love him," Maria finishes softly.

"Of course I do," Taehyung says harsher than he intends. "He's still my brother."

Maria smiles sadly and stands, walking towards him before hugging him from behind. Taehyung leans back into her and looks back over his shoulder.

"You do understand Jimin's hostility when it comes to Jungkook, don't you?"

Maria nods. "I'm sorry for believing in him."

"Don't be," Taehyung sighs. "Jungkook's a nice kid."

The pair stay quiet for a few moments before his gaze turns hard. "Jimin is still hurt by him. Jungkook hurt him. Do you understand?"

Maria hides her face into his shoulder and nods.

***

Jimin's back was leaning against the side of a building, his face hidden by his hood and his eyes trained on a certain ravenette.

He was out of uniform, hanging with a group of guys and goofing off. He looked carefree, and happy, and Jimin's heart clenched painfully.

He missed seeing a carefree, happy Jungkook.

The memories Jimin has tried so hard to repress washed over him like a wave. When Jungkook would sneak into his shared room with Taehyung and sing him to sleep when he had a nightmare. When Jungkook, Taehyung and him would run around in the backyard before cuddling on the couch to watch a movie. When Jungkook would scold them for killing the butterflies in the backyard.

Jimin smiles at that memory. Jungkook had never bonded with him and Taehyung when they did things the ravenette deemed as bad.

Jungkook's laugh broke Jimin's trance, and he turned around with his hands shoved deep into his pockets.

If Jungkook was happy without him and Taehyung, then so be it.

But Jungkook would not take Maria away from him. Not when Maria was Jimin's happiness.

When Jimin opened the door to Taehyung's apartment, he was surprised when Maria jumped into his arms and wrapped her legs around his waist. He held her tightly and stumbled back slightly from the sudden force, his eyes blinking in confusion.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she rambles, hugging him tight. "I promise I'll tell you if he ever tries talking to me again. I'll do anything for you. I promise."

Jimin smiles a little, carrying her upstairs and into the bathroom.

"I just want to wash today away," he explains at her confused face as he sits her down on the sink counter. "I don't want to think about him anymore."

Maria searches his face and feels her heart break as his eyes show his vulnerability. She gently pushes him away and hops down, curling her fingers into the bottom of his shirt and slowly riding it up.

She kisses any skin she can as she slowly undresses him, and Jimin curls his hand into her hair affectionately. When she was done, she turned the shower on and told him to get inside while she undressed.

They held each other closely under the hot water, a moment of peace they found among the chaos. Eventually, Maria grabbed the loofa and dragged it along his body, the suds forming on his honey, golden skin. Her gentle hands had him sighing in relaxation, even more so when she washed his hair for him.

"Maria," he mumbles, gently taking her hand. "Look at me."

Maria does, and Jimin feels his heart skip a beat at those beautiful eyes of hers.

"What?" she whispers, wrapping her arms around his torso.

Jimin's hand cups her cheek, his thumb stroking her cheekbone as a soft smile grows on his lips. "I love you."

Maria gasps, a sudden warmth filling her cheeks. Her eyes search his own, expecting him to tell her that he's lying or that it was a joke.

But he didn't, because it was true, and she felt her eyes grow wet at the realization.

The realization that someone finally loved her.

"I love you too," she says, giving him a watery smile.

Jimin smiles so wide his eyes turn into little crescent moons, and he nuzzles his nose against hers before they both share a shy giggle.

Some nights, Jimin was a ruthless murderer.

Others, Jimin was just a boy in love.