13. You need to sort out your priorities

a few hours ago

Entering Nancy's penthouse always took Emma's breaths away. It reminded her just how different they were. For a moment, when she'd found herself homeless, Emma had considered asking Nancy to let her crash at her place for some time – there definitely was enough room. However, they didn't have that kind of friendship. It wasn't rare that Nancy would – deliberately or not – make it clear that they came from entirely different places.

The high ceiling, the enormous glass windows, the fancy furniture: all of that was enough to remind Emma that it was absurd that they even talked to each other.

Of course, Nancy didn't know just how hard she'd hit rock bottom, her friend had never even been to her apartment. But there was no mistaking it, they were polar opposites, not just in characters, but also when it came to background, education, wealth and even social status.

The latter was underlined by Nancy's friends. As soon as Emma entered, she found them there, dressed in silk pajamas and expensive robes, wearing pieces of jewelry that were worth way more that she could make in a year.

"Hey, girls! Look who joined us!" Nancy introduced loudly, pushing Emma into the living room.

"Hi ..." The girl murmured, immediately feeling ashamed of her cheap attire.

"Emma!" A brunette greeted cheerfully, jumping up to go hug her, despite the margarita in her hand. "It's been so long!"

"Yeah, uh ... sorry." She cracked a small smile, awkwardly accepting the hug.

"Emma has been busy hunting for a job." Nancy explained, her smile unfaltering. "Not very successfully."

"No? How come?" A blonde asked from the large sofa, nodding to the host when she refilled her glass of margarita.

"Lack of qualifications, what else?" A second brunette rolled her eyes, then took a sip of her drink. "You should take Nancy's advice, Emma. Escorts really do make a lot more than you'd think."

The girl sighed inaudibly. "I'll think about it." She mumbled. Why was she here, again? What could possibly compel her to be in the presence of Nancy's haughty friends? The only tolerable one was Lindsay, the brunette that was still standing beside her, seemingly happy to see her. She was the only one in that small group that didn't judge her for being so different.

"Maybe a marriage would be easier." Caroline – the blonde – mused, sipping her drink. "You're ..." She looked Emma up and down for a moment, then curled her lips, "decent. I'm sure you can find some rich old man. Do we know anyone available, Nance?"

"Daniel Larkin is still single." Cordelia – the second brunette – laughed.

Caroline rolled her eyes. "Daniel is a dick."

"Yeah, but he's a rich dick." Cordelia countered. "Even more since his father died."

Emma pursed her lips. Of all the possible bachelors in New York, they had to start talking about her ex? There was no chance she would even give a single hint about their past together. She was actually surprised he hadn't tried to contact her after that interview.

"Michael saw him the other day," Lindsay mentioned, going to sit on the sofa as well, "they talked a bit." She took a sip of her drink. "Daniel is still single, yes, but he's also still head over heels for his ex."

"So what?" Cordelia laughed. "That's never stopped anyone, certainly not me." She winked.

"Oh, we know, we know ..." Caroline snarked, sneering as she eyed her friend from above her glass of margarita.