27. Now we learn Russian?

Alexander stood stiffly at the altar. He didn't even care about appearances, it was basically a shotgun waiting, Nancy couldn't expect him to smile and laugh about it. She'd gone out of her way to make everything perfect, though, even invited his family and friends. It was supposed to be an event to remember for years to come.

The church was packed, there were all kinds of guests – from family to friends, to distant relatives and acquaintances, co-workers. Nancy wanted to make it look like the perfect epitome of a perfect relationship, hence it couldn't be any less than a fairy tale wedding.

Alexander checked his phone out of habit. He'd been doing the same every day for the past 3 months, but had never received one single message from Emma. On one side, it was good, it meant his sacrifice wasn't in vain. On the other side, what assured him that Nancy hadn't done something to her?

Not even Daniel could find her, with all his resources. Although, Alexander believed her ex had indeed found her, but since he was – obviously – on her side, she'd probably asked not to be outed, and he'd complied.

When he met Delilah's gaze, Alexander forced a smile on his face. There was no reason his family should know what was really going, what were his real motives for marrying Nancy. All he'd told them was that she was pregnant, and he was taking his responsibilities. Delilah didn't believe him, but she couldn't find proof to contradict him.

In the end, Alexander thought, it didn't matter. Emma was gone, and so was every hope for a better, brighter, happier future. They'd tried to fight it, and they'd failed, might as well make peace with it. At the very least, she was who knows where safe and sound. She'd probably changed name again, shredding her skin once more.

When the wedding march started, Alexander clenched his fists at his side, as well as his jaw. A lifetime beside Nancy wasn't that scary, a lifetime without Emma was appalling. He closed his eyes, and nodded to himself. "It's for a greater good," he murmured, "it's for a greater good." For Emma.

His phone vibrated in his pocket, right when Nancy reached him at the altar. Without thinking twice, Alexander immediately grabbed it, and unlocked it. "Emma." He whispered, disbelieving. As if on cue, the whole church heard the loud noise of a motorcycle roaring.

All the message said was: Run. Now. He didn't need to read it twice. Before Nancy could say a word, Alexander launched for the exit, amongst general confusion and gulps.

Outside the church, he found indeed a motorcycle waiting, engine on. Due to the helmet, he could only see her eyes, but when she handed him another helmet, he was sure she smiled. He would recognize those brown eyes anywhere.

Hearing the ruckus behind them, Emma urged him: "Get on, now. We'll talk later."

Without a doubt, Alexander put on the helmet, and obeyed, leaving behind a raging Nancy that was yelling all the curses she could think of. She could scream all she wanted, this time nothing would separate them, both thought at the same time.

✧✧ ✧ ✧ ✧  

"Alaska?" Alexander frowned once they got off the motorcycle. "Who in their right mind would drive to Alaska in Winter?"

"March is somewhat warmer. And I mean, it's not like New York is the Bahamas in Winter." Emma chuckled, heading to the cabin on whose driveway she'd parked the motorcycle.

"It's still not freaking Alaska." He braced himself. "In case you haven't noticed, I'm only wearing this stupid wedding suit."

She rolled her eyes, unlocking the door to the cabin. "Come on, get in. It's warm inside and there's clean clothes for you."