Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

2. red & blue

South Harlow High was a small school with an alloy of kids from varying socioeconomic backgrounds. Situated west of the well-to-do Smithson suburb, it was initially a private school until locals began lobbying for free access for the neighboring New Eden residents, who had to commute farther for public education. Perfectly situated near desert terrain, national parks, and reservations, Harlow was framed by a highway that connected it to Tucson and Phoenix. It was a municipality that oozed capitalism, consumerism, and ridiculously sky-high property values. But in every pretty city was a low-income community, and New Eden served as that neighborhood. When Mayor Robert Bailey campaigned to lift the tuition for anyone living within a three-mile radius of the school, he was praised by the town for successfully implementing the local access scheme, and became revered and respected overnight. Harlow loved him and everything he stood for, and his children looked up to him. His eldest son, his youngest daughter, and his middle daughter, Vanessa.

She was the most popular girl at South Harlow, famous for throwing unforgettable parties at her Smithson mansion, or flying her friends out for vacations at her summer home in Los Angeles. Her status around school made her the talk of the town at all times, and when the news hit that she and Dee Warrington were officially over, a magnifying glass was put over the pair as the rumors swirled.

Naya Stephens was no stranger to the gossip, and when she observed the pair talking to each other behind the gymnasium after weeks of giving each other the cold shoulder, she couldn't help but speculate as to what it could mean. Were they trying to revive things? Maybe air out their grievances? Either way, her curiosity was fleeting, because there was always a couple in junior year embroiled in relationship drama, and the school would rotate between them like they were weekly episodes of a TV show. As she walked across the school's campus to the library steps for lunch, Naya sighed, feeling sleepy from the heat, praying that the Girls were situated somewhere in the shade. To her relief, they were—she spotted them huddled inside the perimeters of the building's shadow as they talked and ate. She approached them, swinging her hot-pink Fjällräven Kånken backpack from her shoulder and pulling out a sandwich. Just as she sat down, Amber Harper looked out into the distance, shielding her eyes from the sun. "Ugh. Brother incoming," she said, rolling her eyes. Her coiled brown hair was up in a loose ponytail, and the baby hairs along her nape were damp with sweat.

"Yay!" Tori Richards beamed, standing up as Tyler approached. "Hey, boo!" She was still wearing her indoor volleyball uniform, a luminescent red against her deep-brown skin. On a cooler day, she'd probably be reprimanded for walking on school grounds with that much leg on display, but on this one, most students had opted for minimal clothing. Boys were walking around with their shirts hanging from their pant waists. And if the teachers punished every girl they saw wearing Daisy Dukes, there'd be a whole army of detention attendees.

"What it do, ladies?" Tyler greeted the Girls. Tori embraced him while Amber grimaced behind them, melodramatically miming putting two of her fingers down her throat. Jasmine Collins and Evie Anderson giggled, and Naya looked on as she ate her lunch.

"I'm fine now that you're here," Tori crooned, kissing him before unlatching herself and sitting back down on the steps.

"You know, I'm all for the abolishment of capital punishment, but I'll make an exception for PDAs. It's so fucking gross," Amber said.

"Jealousy is a disease, little sis. You'll find yourself a boo one day. Don't sweat it," Tyler responded.

Amber frowned. "The day I call anyone 'boo' is the day I lose my dignity. And for the last time, being born three minutes after you does not make me your 'little sis.' Get a grip."

"I'm just kidding. Has anyone seen Dee?" Tyler asked, spinning his cap around his index finger.

Amber rose to grab it from him, fanning herself with it. "We're surprised he isn't with you right now," she said.