The Bane of Your Existence

The school year seems to go by predictably. Your assignment grades are almost perfect but the test scores won't budge and rarely reach above fifty per cent. A sense of futility starts to settle in you and even Tsukiko notices, trying her best to cheer you up with excursions to her favourite hidden gem thrift stores and treating you to delicious, delicious ramen.
"It's ok," you reassure her during one of your ramen sessions around Christmas season, poking about in your half-empty bowl. "I'm pretty used to it. I didn't really think it would suddenly change just because I'm in high school, you know?"
"Well, if it makes you feel better," Tsukiko swirls her chopsticks around the strips of ramen, "I'm not exactly cut out for 'higher education' either." She puts air quotes around the words.
"What are you talking about?" You suddenly look up at her. "You should definitely be thinking of getting your little behind into art school."
She reddens and concentrates all her attention on the noodles, ignoring your worried gaze.
"Nah...it's just a stupid hobby. I'm not even that good...I just doodle here and there. It's not like...you know. And you have to have a portfolio and everything and the materials... Like I could ever afford that," she hurries on and in her rush to dismiss her thoughts she lets on much more than she intended. She's definitely done her research.
"But you are good! Better than good! Ryo loves the dinosaurs and I still can't get over how good your paintings are. You know that!" She should definitely know. You've got two hanging in your room. But you can see she's too flustered.
You decide to leave it for now. You've still got two years to work on her.
But what about you...?

It begins to snow as you look aimlessly out the window during French class the following week, waiting for your turn to give your oral presentation. It's your favourite class. You don't know why, but you've always loved foreign languages, finding them fascinating. The idea of so many different words existing for the same universal concepts, the idioms, the sounds peculiar only to those parts of the world... You picked French because it was the only other language option available next to English in one of your middle schools but you've since fallen head over heels in love with it. C'est l'amour.
The only major downside of this class is that it doesn't include Tsukiko, who goes to art. But the major upside is that it doesn't include Garou. You have no idea where he goes and wouldn't be surprised if he was... Hey, wait a minute. You peer closer through the window. The hell? Speak of the devil. He's climbing over the school wall just below. One swift motion and he's over, that silvery hair a blur in the snow. Well then...you weren't wrong! You file away this little piece of information safely in your mind to use against him if needed (and it probably will be) at a later date just as Ms. Fujie politely calls your name, drawing you away from the window and Garou's disappearance.
Luckily, speeches are your thing. It might seem strange for someone with your test troubles but you've never had a problem with getting up in front of people and entertaining them. In fact, you have a knack for it.
You stand in front of your small class, cue cards at the ready, but you know you won't really be needing them, knowing your speech off by heart.
Ms. Fujie nods at you and starts the timer.
"Bounjour, aujourd'hui je voudrais vous parler de..."

It's time to start testing his strength. He knows now where and when to find some willing test subjects. The fact that it includes skipping class does not bother him in the slightest. Who the fuck needs this shit when you're strong? Powerful... And anyway, school is just a breeding ground for the unfairness that permeates society. It's in fucking school where the pecking order is established. And once you've been put in your place it's almost impossible to get out. He won't stand for it. Just you try and pin him down. Slowly, the ideas are coming together in his mind. A path clearing. A dark path, to be sure, but if that's what it takes to bring back a little justice into the world, then he's willing to risk it, and more.
Now, those test subjects. He's quite far from that shitty school now. They should be around here somewhere...Ah! Right on time. He slips off his blazer and tosses it onto the snow, sleeves already rolled up. They look rearing to go. And so is he.