Just Deserts

"Don't you just love this?" Tsukiko stands at the classroom window, hands on hips like a lord surveying his vast domain from atop a high vantage point. "We're not the noobs anymore!" She exclaims as she watches the new first years file in through the school gate. "We're senpais now!" The gleam in her eye has you a little worried.
"How much do you bet he'll show up today?" Tsukiko flicks her long ponytail as she takes Garou's seat, crossing one leg importantly over the other.
"Nothing," you laugh. "It's a pretty easy bet. I doubt he'll be here."

It's been a whole year already. Where did the time go? You listen to Tsukiko regale you with stories of one of her cousin's dangerous run-ins with the law (read, speeding ticket) and look around you, not being able to contain your smile. It's incredible. To be in the same class with the same people two years in a row! There's Yumi and Sho, and the ever solemn Kimi. Ichirou and half the volleyball team...
You don't notice Tsukiko trail off and follow your gaze around the room.
"Same as last year, eh. Kinda boring," she winks at you.
"You have no idea how much I love boredom," you grin back. "Sorry, you were saying...?
"Oh, no it's ok! I was just saying I can't believe the officer believed his 'My girlfriend's in labour' story," she shakes her head. "I mean she was right there in the passenger's seat!" She gesticulates, exasperated. "And she doesn't even look pregnant!"
"Maybe-"
"Alright, children," Mr. Yukimura strides into the room, tie as loose as ever, and everyone hurries back to their seats, "you know the drill. Assembly in half an hour," is all he says and then sinks into his chair.
"Sir," Tsukiko calls out when it's clear that nothing else is forthcoming. "We're in second year now. Aren't you supposed to give us some words of advice? A motivational speech perhaps?"
You can see Yumi nodding eagerly a few desks away from you.
"Yeah sir!" Ichirou pipes up. "We made it through first year! Ain't you gonna say anything?"
Mr. Yukimura lets out the deepest of sighs, instinctively pats his shirt pocket, finding nothing and gets up from behind his desk, walking to the middle of the front of the room.
He clears his throat dramatically.
"Well done for making it through the easiest year of high school," he scans the room. "You now have first years looking up to you. This year will set the foundations for the most important year of your life next year. Good study habits, attendance, uniform. Et cetera, et cetera, so on and so forth," he pauses then concludes. "Don't be idiots and mess it up."
"Because you want us to learn to be responsible, independent young adults?" Tsukiko asks, without putting her hand up.
"No," he fixes her with a stare before continuing, "because it reflects badly on me. And I don't want my ass hauled over the coals because of you," he says and looks at your side of the room a little longer than at any of the other students.
"Riveting," Tsukiko claps slowly. "I am truly inspired. We will not let you down. Will we class 2-3?"
And to her surprise, almost everyone echoes "No sir!"

Garou's still not here when it's time to head off to assembly and you feel at ease as you make your way down the hall. You find the first years, also heading in the same direction, look at you and your classmates with a little bit of awe. You start to feel the power Tsukiko felt this morning. This isn't too bad at all.
"Gum," Mr. Yukimura yanks Tsukiko back by the collar as you two are about to step inside the small auditorium.
"What gum?" she looks at him innocently, batting her sharply lined lids.
"Don't mess with me," he rolls his eyes.
"Fine," she struts back down the hall to spit her gum out.
"'Your Name'," your teacher nods at you. "You need to go to the side of the stage."
"What? Why?" You're more than a little confused.
"Boss' orders. Go," he jerks his head in the direction of the side entrance and you depart before Tsukiko's return.

You sit on the edge of your seat at the side of the hall, next to the stage with a group of other students, not noticing how hard your fingers are digging into the plastic chair as you listen to the principal's welcome, the important announcements and notices and then the awards. And your heart almost skips a beat. First, a few members of the science club go up to receive awards for a robotics championship they participated in and you notice the second year boy, now a third year, who you attended the language competition with just over a month ago.
"We would like to congratulate the students who participated at the University's annual Languages Competition..."
Ohhh no...Your heart starts to beat harder and faster. The principal's voice fades into the background. You've never gone up on stage before. And not in front of the whole school.
"...first place. ...also first place..." You watch as the boy makes his way up the stage and there's a polite round of applause. "And, last but not least, 'Your Name', second place."
Nothing happens. A little murmur blossoms in the auditorium.
"'Your Name'?"
You only snap out of it when Ms. Fujie taps you on the shoulder and you jump up much too quickly and hurry up the side stairs of the stage, finally making an appearance and receiving your award followed by that polite round of applause. You are sure you are absolutely red, fidgeting with the fancy card in your hands, holding it askew. And then you spot that flash of silver hair at the back of the hall and everything becomes so much worse.