𝐀𝐜𝐭 ♫ 1

THREE MONTHS AGO

THREE MONTHS AGO

"GUILIANNA, I'M SO SORRY, but we have to let you go," my manager tells me as I grab my backpack from the locker.

Oh my God... not again.

No matter how many times my previous managers have told me that they're firing me, I'm still not used to it. It's a sucker punch to my stomach every single time. And every single time, the reason is always the same.

"It's because of my brother... right?" I slowly ask, stuffing my hands in my back pockets as I lightly tap my right sneaker—so my shaking isn't so noticeable. At least, that's what I try to tell myself. It doesn't matter how many times—or how hard—I try to control my attacks, I still end up shaking like a nervous chihuahua who's gasping for air.

Sighing, Todd scratches the back of his neck as he nods. "I know you can't control him and his actions... but the complaints from the customers are getting worse."

Eyes widening, my mouth drops, feeling as though I've just been drop kicked in my stomach. "W-wait... how worse?"

"Apparently, Alex has been stealing drinks and food from customers while he waits at the bar for your shift to end. I didn't want to call the cops and cause a bigger scene and put you through that. So, I'm really sorry, Guilie. I just think that this may be the best option..."

"Look," I cut him off, forcing myself not to cry and break down—or pass out—right here in the employee lounge. "I understand. Say no more. I mean... honestly, this sucks," I scoff, not even caring anymore if I over share or ramble. "And it's not really fair, seeing as how I really bust my butt here. I show up really early and I stay after close. I even cover other people's shifts when they call in sick, and I've never once called out. I'm a really hard worker, and I just needed a chance. But, I get that my brother is the issue, and I'm so sorry about him." Unclipping my name tag from my shirt and untying my apron, which also has my name on it, I reluctantly hand them to him.

"I know this must be hard for you," Todd frowns, placing my name tag in his pocket, before he folds my apron and places it under his arm. "I'm awfully sorry to see you go. I truly am. And I wish you the best of luck."

"Okay..." I quietly reply, not really paying attention anymore to what the old man was saying after the words 'I know this must be hard for you' left his overly chapped lips.

I've never been an assistant manager until I came to work here. I made a decent amount of money that thankfully kept me feeling like my head was just barely above water after paying the bills. And now, I'm back to square one, absolutely pissed and jobless, welcoming the familiar pang of hopelessness and defeat—my eyes still glued to the floor as Todd softly pats me on the shoulder; before he retreats back into his office around the corner.

I'm fired.

Because of Alejandro.

Again.