Loyal, Brave And True

The Soldiers came to a small village, and they stopped momentarily staring at it's burning remnants.

[Y/n] walked side by side with Mulan, as they walk through it.

There was no single soul, and no building was standing.

The Huns had done a number on that village.

"Search for survivors!" Shang commanded, as he rode his horse forward.

[Y/n] walked through a small curtain, of what should have been a house, and saw a small doll on the ground.

She picked up the doll, hugging it to her chest.

Shang rode up to her, and came down from his horse.

"I don't understand. My father should've been here." He said, making [Y/n] glance at him.

"Captain!" Chi Fu exclaimed.

Shang run up to where he was, and Chi Fu numbly pointed at the valley below.

Shang looked down, gasping at the corpses of the soldiers littered about in the valley.

Chien Po came up from the valley, handing a familiar helmet to Shang.

"The ... general."

[Y/n] gasped quietly seeing the helmet, her heart breaking into two.

"Papa."

Shang walked away from the other soldiers towards the edge of the village.

[Y/n] watched her brother as he took his sword and sticks it in the snow, then places the helmet on the hilt and says a small prayer.

She walked closer to him as he stood up, and numbly stared at her father's sword.

Shang glanced at her, and placed his hand on her shoulder, [Y/n] glanced at his hand wanting nothing more than to hold him, but she just turned back to the sword and Shang walked away.

Shang walked to his horse, and placed his hand on the hilt, closing his eyes in pain.

Then he mounted the horse and turned to the soldiers.

"The Huns are moving quickly. We'll make better time to the Imperial City through the Tung Show pass. We'll rest here for the night and move out at dawn. We're the only hope for the Emperor now."

The army slowly walks away. 

[Y/n] knelt down before her father's sword and placed her doll beside his sword.

She placed her hand on her forehead, and said a small prayer, tears trickling from her eyes.

Mulan came next to her, placing a hand on her shoulder, making her glance at him.

Then she stood up, wiping her tears, and then turned back, going to catch up with the other soldiers.

That night [Y/n] stood at the edge of the valley, just staring at the corpses of the soldiers.

She sighed and walked back to camp.

[Y/n] paused when she saw Shang at the middle of the camp, sitting on a log his head in his hand.

"Shang." She whispered softly.

[Y/n] his behind a tree, and then reached up to pull her hair down.

But then she paused, and looked back to her brother.

"What are you doing [Y/n]? Do you want to get caught?"

She looked back at Shang as he stood up and walked back into his tent.

[Y/n] groaned and walked away from the camp towards the burnt village.

"I don't know what to do anymore. Shang needs me. But then, the country needs me too."

She sighed.

"I'm so confused right now, which do I serve more, my country or my family?"

[Y/N]:

War is not freedom, over my shoulder

I see a clearer view

All for my family, reason I'm breathing

Everything to lose

Should I ask myself in the water

What a warrior would do?

Tell me, underneath my armor

Am I loyal, brave and true?

Cold is the morning, warm is the dream

Chasing the answers, till I can't sleep

Will I be stronger, or will I be weak

When you're not with me?

Who am I without my armor? 

Standing in my father's shoes

All I know is that it's harder

To be loyal, brave and true

[Y/n] sat down on a log and hid her face in her arms, crying softly.

Unaware of the eyes watching her in the dark.