𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘

SAVIOR

THE DAY FELT like an eternity for Sophie, who had been unable to get any sleep due to the commotion in the lively city. Her head throbbed, burning with fever, and every bone in her body ached from the lack of rest.

Helen finally made an appearance, approaching Sophie, who barely had the energy to acknowledge her presence. "Sophie, my child," she spoke softly, as if afraid her voice might startle her. "I brought you some food."

"Water," Sophie tried to speak, her voice failing her.

"Of course, of course, I brought water too," Helen said as she brought the cup to Sophie's chapped lips, noticing the heat radiating from her head. "There you go, my poor child."

She wanted to tell her to stop calling her that, but she knew better than to waste her energy arguing with the older woman if she had any energy left at all. So, she drank from the cup that was held for her, nurturing the little coolness the water provided.

"You'll have to eat something," Helen told her as she moved the now empty cup away from Sophie's lips, which still felt the need for more water.

"I need," Sophie spoke weakly before she paused. "To sit down."

The poor girl had been standing for too long, as the ropes that tied her up forced her slacking body to remain in an upright position.

"I wish I could let you down, but I'm afraid I cannot," Helen said before someone approaching made the woman stumble back slightly.

"Helen," Sophie heard a familiar voice as she forced herself to look up and found King Ragnar approaching.

"I was just giving her some food, my lord," Helen spoke.

"Carry on," Ragnar motioned for her with a smile before his eyes found Sophie, who was avoiding looking at him.

Helen approached her again, as King Ragnar watched her offer Sophie some bread to take a bite, only for her to refuse.

"Come on, my child," Helen whispered in English this time, urging the girl to open her mouth. But again, she refused, causing the older woman to turn to King Ragnar, who was standing there watching the whole exchange.

"My lord, she was asking me if she could sit down," Helen started. "She's been standing for too long and-"

Without further words, King Ragnar was already pulling a knife from his belt as he approached Sophie, who didn't even bother looking up at him.

Cutting the tight ropes that bound her small wrists to the post, Sophie directly slumped down, causing Helen to rush to steady her as she assisted her in sitting down. "Thank you, my lord," Helen looked up at King Ragnar, ignoring the eyes of the crowd that were watching them curiously.