𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

SOPHIE EALHMUNDING, daughter of King Ecbert, ruler of Wessex and Mercia, finally found her way back home after almost two years.

Her safe passage was granted by the Vikings, the very people she had resented since childhood.

Reflecting on her journey, Sophie felt gratitude towards King Ragnar. Despite everything, he never attempted to harm her. He could have, but he didn't.

Watching them leave made her sentimental. For a whole year, she had lived and breathed with those Vikings. Thoughts of Helen, her backbone, welled up in her eyes.

Her gaze caught King Harald trying to convey his message to her one last time, but she quickly averted her eyes to Ivar, who surprisingly looked vulnerable. The loss of his brother had taken a toll on him. It put him back in his place.

Ragnar, conversing with Athelstan, took one last glance at Sophie and with a smirk, he turned away, motioning for his people to follow, leaving Athelstan behind.

Floki looked delighted as he finally got rid of the Christian priest. It was a victory for him but a great loss for Ragnar, who hadn't only lost him but lost his second favourite Christian too. He told himself one day he would come back for her and bring her back home to one of his sons.

Sophie's eyes followed Ragnar's figure until he disappeared from her sight. That's when she looked down at Alfred, who was more than happy to meet his father for the first time as the two embraced, while Judith sniffled back her sobs from beside Sophie.

"Welcome back," Athelred whispered from behind Sophie as she turned, smiling at him before he pulled her into a long embrace.

"Are you alright, my darling?" King Ecbert asked as he pulled her close to him. "Did they hurt you?"

"No, father, they have not."

They would have, but Ragnar never allowed it to happen. She wanted to tell him that, but instead, she smiled.

She was back home, and at that moment, that was all that mattered to her.

Sophie was free again.