Chapter 02: Bond and Blood

A/N: Today's a double update! In case you haven't read Harriet's POV chapter, please read that first before this one.

MORRIE

LIVING UP to people's expectations has become part of my life. It shaped who I am and what I'm willing to do to achieve anything.

I belonged to the Moreno family where every member was part of the law. My father is a police inspector. My mom is a state prosecutor. My brother is a special agent under a national intelligence agency. I, as the youngest and the second child, was also expected to take the same route as everyone else in the family.

In a way, I was walking on a path that was already paved by those who came before me. All I needed to do was to cross it and reach the end. I wasn't complaining. I've been interested in the concept of justice since I was child. Pursuing this path was something that I had already considered. When my brother enrolled in QED University, I knew it's only a matter of time that I would follow his footsteps.

My "live up to expectations" motto was also a thing in the detective academy. My brother Arturius was an overachiever, and he became a living legend in House Moriarty. Yes, even in the House of our choice, I had the same preference as him. He was one of the youngest leaders of our House. He was elected Regent of the student body during his senior year. And he won as the champion of the prestigious Quadetective Tournament, leading the Moriartians to victory in that year's House War. You could say that he had a long list of achievements.

Now it's my turn. I wasn't just a Moreno studying in this university. I was also the younger brother of a Moriartian legend. Much was expected from me since the day I set foot in the campus. That's why I had to work hard and work smart to reach the same level that my brother did during his time.

You could very well say that I was living in his shadows or just simply tracing his footsteps. I wouldn't deny it because it's true.

"Hey, Morrie?"

My eyes flicked up at the boy across my seat. I was finishing my soup that was served this morning in the mess hall of the Moriartian Manor.

"Kailan daw ia-announce ang designation mo bilang champion ng House natin?" My Housemate Andrei asked before chewing some bread. "Nabalitaan ko na unanimous ang consensus na ikaw ang magiging representative sa Quadetective Tournament."

I looked down at my soup and sipped from a spoonful of it. "They plan to hold off the announcement until every other House has announced theirs. Madali tayong mahahanapan ng butas kung tayo ang unang mag-a-announce."

"Pero sure na ikaw na 'yan, 'no? Wala nang ibang candidate na kino-consider ang Council?"

I shook my head. "Why? Do you want to take my place?"

Andrei almost choked on his coffee. He put down his cup and coughed a few times. "Ano ka ba? Alam mo namang malaki ang tiwala ko sa 'yo. I'm sure you'd easily beat whoever's the representative of the other Houses. Ikaw pa? Si Morrie Moreno yata 'yan!"