Chapter 08: Blood Brothers

MORRIE

MORRIE

I DIDN'T have any problems with my brother visiting me in the university. After all, he had every right to be back here since he's an alumnus and a legend in our House. He's also the Quadetective Tournament champion four years ago. It wouldn't come as a surprise if they invited him over for some advice in this year's competition. His insights might make the games more thrilling.

It's getting late, so my brother decided to stay in the Moriarty Manor. He must have missed this Western-style place where he stayed for four years. We went to the lounge and sat across each other. Because we had an important visitor, a hot cup of tea was served to both of us and the area became temporarily off-limits to my other Housemates. A classical music was playing in the background. Bach, I think? Such was the privilege that someone like him and me could enjoy. We could have any room in this manor for ourselves.

I had to admit, it felt strange for us to be together in the same room. Perhaps I wasn't used to it because it had been a while since we enjoyed each other's company. He's working in the Bureau while I was attending this university. We didn't have any bonding moments for the past two to three years.

"Pinapakumusta ka pala nina Mama at Papa," my brother broke the silence between us. He blew the steam off his cup and sipped from it. He was enjoying its aroma. "They're wondering when you're going to pay them a visit. They miss you so much."

"Probably during the summer break." My right hand held the teacup while the left one lifted the saucer. "Send them my love once you return home."

We're not allowed to leave the campus during weekdays or weekends, except for important and emergency cases. The only times we'd be allowed to stay longer outside the university was during the semestrial break in October and the summer break in April and May. We're already in January so we're just a few months from being allowed to take a short vacation.

"What are you up to right now?" I asked, gently placing the teacup on the saucer. "Aren't you supposed to be in a covert operation? Wala ka bang secret mission ngayon?"

"Kahit kapatid kita, hindi ko pwedeng sabihin sa 'yo kung ano ang iniimbestigahan ko," my brother answered with a smile. "But don't worry. I won't be in harm's way, if that's what you're worried about."

I wasn't that worried about him because I knew that he could handle any situation. He was a graduate of this university and he had the necessary talents to survive and thrive. He wouldn't have been accepted in the Bureau if his skills weren't top shelf.

"Let's talk about you!" He placed his teacup on the circular mahogany table between us. There's something in the way his lips curved that concerned me. What kind of intrigue would he throw at my direction? "How's your student life so far? Nag-e-enjoy ka naman ba rito?"

"Of course, I do." I also placed mine on the table. My hands rested on my lap as I crossed my legs. "I'm learning a lot from our lessons and applying them in our practical tests. The people here are good to me, too."