Shadow of the Past

Fingers brushed through her hair, weaving through the thick locks as they tugged at loose knots. Those same fingers ran along the side of her jaw, tracing small circles as Leala allowed her eyelids to flutter shut and breathe in the moment surrounding her. A soft pair of lips lightly brushed against her own, a thumb run along her chin as she gazed up to the golden eyes above her. River's body flush against hers, Leala drew her arms around River's arms, hands softly squeezing the muscle underneath his shirt as his hair became a curtain over his eyes for a brief second. 

"I don't want to go," she whispered, almost out of breath as she could feel the attraction between the two of them in this moment. 

"A new sun rises and your title calls for you to complete its duties."

"Duties of politics to drown out the day." To drown out the memories which still haunted Leala. The scars which had formed over her body from the battle reminded her everyday of the battle won. Perhaps it was a battle won, but there were still losses. Processing grief is never a simple task - a task which has many ways to lead to completion. "I would rather be here and in your embrace than arguing with Finley another five hours."  

River chuckled, rising from the bed as he readjusted the shirt he had thrown on not ten minutes ago. "No one wishes to settle arguments for hours on end." 

"I feel chained to this job like a hound," Leala muttered. "But it is the decision I made to lead an army, multiple packs, and to become the next queen." 

"So focus on what is ahead. Do not think about the misery of dealing with Finley...think about what good things are to come from all of these debates, arguments, and matters of politics and the heart." 

A smile painted the future queen's face, River's words reminding Leala of why she loved returning to her room every night to greet the same man - it was his optimism and words of encouragement and wisdom. It was in these moments that Leala's attraction to River only grew stronger and formed permanent ties. 

Leala picked herself off from the bed and headed for the door, leaving River with a kiss as they parted ways. Ever since their return from war with Keva, Leala and River had become inseparable, finding ways to spend the nights together and loopholes to keep one another company. Yet as Leala prepared for the formation of a kingdom, River was busy tending to the needs of everyday life. River understood he would be Leala's hand when she took the throne - an individual to care for the simpler and everyday matters which the crown would be too distracted from for time to time. River was learning to deal with these matters before Leala would take her throne. 

Yet as the days to the coronation neared and plans arranged for the moment Leala Maxwell became queen, tensions had begun to rise within the packs. Crimson Lock members whispered in corridors about the fate of the new queen. They wondered what was to become of the pack if their alpha was to become a queen. Would they become the Royal Pack and move to the city outside the palace? Would they stay in their origional territory and have a Steward placed over them. Brie or Cedric could become the one to run Crimson Lock while Alpha Leala was off running a kingdom. These matters still seemed up in the air for the common folk. 

"I need a drink," Leala muttered to Brie as she took slid into her office chair, looking outside to watch her garden being tended to. "Something like a whiskey or scotch." 

"So soon?" Brie questioned, walking to the alcohol cabinet stored by the bookshelf. 

"Coronation day nears."   

"And you will move into what has been built of the palace."

"It looks beautiful," Leala commented, thinking back to the pictures she had been shown only a week ago. "The work mages can do is impressive. I thought only the elves built that fast."