The Expanse

The world is silent tonight, nothing moving in the dead of night as my paws press firmly into the light layer of snow covering the earth. The cold tough of the snow, sends shivers down the spine of my wolf, the snowflakes falling onto her soft coat as she shakes the excess snow from her mane, her eyes scanning the tree line ahead. The slightest movement of the tiny creature and her paws dig through the earth, pushing off of the ground as she charges through the forest, the small creature looking up as it begins to run off in fear of its life. We play a game of chase, my wolf enjoying the game as her canines are extended outward, jaws ready to clamp down on the small body of the creature. Just as the small creature finds itself trapped between a wide river and my wolf, a distinct howl calls my attention, my snout pointing up in the air as I howl back, allowing the rabbit to get away for the night. 

Picking up my pace, I head back to the house, hearing the howl again as I try and run faster, my wolf scanning the view before me as I spot Alpha Edward standing beside my father in wolf form and my mother in human form. Shifting behind the tree I placed my clothes on, I change quickly and head over to the house, greeting Alpha Edward with a warm smile as the cold air nips at my skin. Pulling the wool jacket closer to my body, I spot from the corner of my eyes an unexpected guest who stays by the car as he waits for Alpha Edward. I thought River had left this morning, but it seems Eternal Shadows still had pack business to finish up. 

"Evelyn, this came for you this morning," Alpha Edward greets as my father goes into the house to shift. 

Taking the letter from the Alpha's hand, I spot the iconic crimson wax sealing unbroken. My name is written in cursive along the back on the envelope in a blood red ink, spiking my interest in why on earth this pack would ever want to send me a letter, much less how they know of me. 

As my father comes back outside, I open the letter before everyone, keeping the message hidden and for my eyes only as I look to the handwritten letter addressed to me. 

Dear Evelyn, 

It has come to the attention of Crimson Lock that you have details regarding the night that the Steward's daughter and many other Crimson Lock members were slaughtered. As an elected elder of Crimson Lock and a valued voice of this pack, I am writing you this letter as an invitation to come to Crimson Lock during the week of December 21st for however long you desire to describe the things you saw that retched night...

The letter continues, detailing the luxuries of my stay and how the elder hopes to have me speak to the Steward and tell him what I saw. Evidentially word reached Crimson Lock that I saw elves slaughter members of their pack and they want to hear it from me. But why? Why write a letter, why send me a car if I want to come, give me a room in a guest house, and so much more rather than just have me just email them back or give them a call? 

Looking up, the first set of eyes I meet are those of a golden hue, staring back intensely at me. Could River have known about this letter? No doubt about it. He drove here with Alpha Edward, so he knows Crimson Lock sent me a letter and if his pack helped kill the Steward's daughter, then he would not want me to go and help conspire against his pack. 

"What does it say?" Mom asks, concerned as she tried to take a peek at the letter. 

Pulling the letter back, I look at her, folding it up as I look to Alpha Edward. "I have been invited by Crimson Lock to visit tomorrow," I explain, watching my Alpha's expression as he seems completely shocked. 

No one replies, their expressions of shock and worry making me wonder what their responses will be like. Pulling open the letter a little, I take a peek at the invitation once more, making sure it was actually addressed to me. It says my name, the cursive handwriting spelling out my name clearly as I cannot wrap my head around the fact I would be invited to Crimson Lock. I am barely anyone of significance in my pack, just the Gamma's daughter, no title which can be passed down onto me or anything.