BEWITCHED *18*

Psalm 11:3-7 (KJV,)

If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

****************

Diary of Justice Hall, pg. 226

The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace, like gold purified seven-fold. Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? If we believe not, yet He abideth faithful: He IS Faithful, He cannot deny Himself... Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; wisdom keeps me company. Strength and honour are it's clothing; and it shall rejoice in time to come. I fear nothing but God; the fear of The LORD is the beginning of wisdom. The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer. My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

******************

1891: Justice Hall and Idara

It is twenty three days to the night of First Rain. The petite woman continues to weep at Mary's feet. He feels a little sympathy for her plight, even though he doesn't know what it is. In between heavy sobs, she speaks the complex language of the natives to the patient missionary, who nods and sighs appropriately, then gives a startled gasp, and sets wide eyes upon him.

"What's going on, Mary?" he asks her quietly.

They are seated on the front porch of the Mission House, a quaint, cottage style duplex that has sheltered him as her distinguished guest for three days now. The night of his arrival, Miss Mary told him a fascinating story of the Efiks and Ibibios; two sister tribes existing from ancient times. The Efiks believe that their lineage starts from the old, original and biblical Canaan, having intermarried among Hebrews somewhere along the centuries, while it's sister tribe, the Ibibio, believe that they are direct descendants of the twelve tribes of Jacob. They both migrated from the Jordan area through the Nile, into Somalia, and broke out into three groups, one group going into Kumasi among the Ashanti, the other settling deeper into Zulu kingdom among the Swahili, and the last group, into the lands below the Niger area by the Atlantic Ocean, first passing through the equatorial line, along the edges of the Congo.

"Mary, what's wrong--what's going on?" he asks her again.

"This Ibibio woman," she tilts her head toward the weeping figure folded at her feet, "Is the wife of an Ibibio Chief. She's an excellent bible student; very passionate about the faith."

He looks at the woman.

The Chief's wife is bronze skinned, dressed in native attire; a raffia contraption of billowing wild skirts about her thighs and knees like a dry bush in autumn, and a red chest band that covers her ample bosom somewhat. The distinguishing items in this regalia are the copious beads, forming a crown atop her head; dripping from her wrists; tinkling at her ankles; cinching her tiny waist...

"That is wonderful...but why the tears?"

"Her husband is too set in his ways. He refuses to give up the traditional practices that connect demonic entities with the destinies of men," Mary adjusts herself on the cane chair to face him, her eyes reflecting grave concern "You see; in this kingdom, Lord Hall, there is a very powerful high priest. I will admit that, even with my prayers and my bible I am careful of him, he has done much evil... and, he has devotees everywhere. One such devotee, is the king's Efik champion warrior," she points a finger at the Chief's wife,"-who claims her only daughter for his bride, and, another such devotee is her husband, who, also being a political rival, negates this claim in totality."