Chapter 4:

Unexpected (part 4)

He couldn't believe that the praying thing actually worked. Clint didn't know which godly deity thing he was praying to, but he was not complaining.

He had to play it cool, though. Clint couldn't make it obvious that he stalked the man.

As far as he knows, no one other than Nat was aware of the interaction he had with Hood a week ago... Or the fact that they're meeting up today.

Natasha was not going to believe this. She still couldn't believe that she might finally get to meet the famed vigilante.

When he told her about the meet-up, she screamed so loud that Clint was surprised he wasn't permanently deaf yet.

Out of habit, he brought up a hand to feel the devices in his ears, making sure the hearing aids that Tony made were still there.

"You okay?"

It took everything in Clint not to jump in surprise. Deaf or not, only a special group of people could sneak up to him.

Jason repeated his question, successfully snapping Clint out of his thoughts. He nodded, "Yeah. Guess I zoned out for a few seconds."

The vigilante raised an eyebrow but didn't reply. Their eyes met but it didn't take long before Jason quickly lowered his.

That small act raised all sorts of alarms in the archer's head. He wanted to comment on it. Wanted to ask the kid what was wrong. But-

But the two of them have just met. There was no way that Jason- the RED HOOD!- would trust Clint about that bothered him like this. Especially if it involved feelings.

Some day, maybe Jason will. But as of now, he won't. Clint knows from experience.

"So, what did you need help with?" he asked.

Jason took a deep breath and Clint saw the vigilante slightly tremble. As if it hurt him to ask the archer for help.

Clint wanted to frown. He wanted to ask Jason what was wrong. And he needed to know if he was okay.

"I- I need-" Jason cut himself off and Clint didn't know if he imagined it but he swore that something flickered in Jason's eyes.

"Take your time, Jay." Clint gently said. "I'm not in a rush."

Jason nodded and the two of them let the silence immerse them. Let it fall like rain.

It wasn't awkward. If anything, it was comfortable. He wondered if that was because Jason trusted Clint as well.

"It's not a big favor," Jason whispered and Clint could sense the underlying security in his tone. "And you don't have to say yes." he rushed out. "I just- I need a place to stay for a few days- maybe weeks?"

Clint didn't know how to reply to that. He guessed he stayed silent for far too long because Jason's face fell.

"I can pay you back." the vigilante meekly offered. "A favor for a favor, y'know? I just- I just really need a place that isn't in Gotham."

The desperation in Jason's voice brought Clint out of his thoughts. "No favor needed," he tried to assure the teen. "The Avengers tower have plenty of space. It won't be a problem at all."

"Are you sure? I don't wanna be a bother."

If Clint had any doubts that Red Hood was young, then this whole conversation wiped it all away. Even when he's not wearing his hearing aids, he's sure that he would still be able to hear the insecurity that radiated off of Jason's voice.