21 ~ 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙞𝙣𝙜

*TW*

Lottie

 At first, the pain was unimaginable. I screamed and screamed, and was aware of it. I couldn't move; the numbness had not gone away. Then came the memories.

I was walking down a white hallway. My heels clicked on the floor, and a white lab coat billowed behind me. I passed a few doors, but I finally entered one. Inside, there were three rows of monitors, and someone was sitting at each one. They were all wearing the same coats as I was.

Some monitors showed the Glade. The cameras were at an angle so that everything was visible; the forest, the Homestead, the Gardens...

Other monitors each showed a different boy. The lady at the monitor closest to me clicked, and the camera focused on a bulky boy who was speaking with a Track-hoe. His dark skin was smudged with dirt. In the corner of the screen, the boy's information was listed. I saw that his name was Alby.

I scanned the room for an empty monitor, until I finally found one in the corner. I headed towards it, and began clicking around.

"What are you doing here?" I turned to see a boy around my age. He had brown hair and blue eyes, and was also wearing a white coat. I noticed that on the breast of the coat, there was a patch with the word 'WICKED' on it.

"Same reason as usual, Thomas," I replied, and turned back to the monitor. I clicked on a familiar boy with sandy blond hair and amber eyes. Newt. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Thomas give me a pitying look.

Newt was in front of the Door with the other Runners. When it opened, they all dashed forward. I clicked on the different cameras, following Newt as he ran through the Maze. To my horror, he was crying as he ran.

"Why is he crying?" Thomas asked, watching Newt over my shoulder.

"Obviously, I don't know," I snapped.

Newt kept going, until he stopped at a very tall stone wall. He looked up at it, furiously wiping his tears away. He tore his pack from his back and set it on the floor, and then began to climb the ivy that snaked up the wall.

"Maybe he thinks he'll be able to see better from a higher point?" Thomas guessed, but I shook my head. He wouldn't be crying like that if that were the case.

Soon, he reached a spot where the ivy wasn't thick enough to hold his weight, and he stopped climbing. He looked down at the concrete below, and gave a satisfied nod. Then, he looked straight into the camera. "I don't know who you people are, but I hope you're happy. I hope you get a real bloody kick out of watching us suffer. And then you can die and go to hell. This one's on you."

And he let go. Thomas sucked in a breath. I screamed, drawing the other people's attention, but I didn't care. "No!" I clicked on another camera, and it showed Newt writhing on the Maze's floor, clutching his leg to his chest. Blood was everywhere, and he was sobbing.

"I hate you! I hate you..." He said, and then he let out an anguished scream. Thomas lunged at the monitor and switched off the audio. I couldn't move. I was staring in horror at the scene in front of me. I turned around slowly, and saw that all of the others in the room had looked up from their monitors. Their faces were pale, and some even had tears in their eyes. They looked at me with pity, and I couldn't take it.

I stormed out of the room with the monitors. I would have cried, but I was too shocked.

"Lottie!"