016┆chapter sixteen

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

sixteen.        stripper

▬▬ IT HAD BEEN DAYS since that night at the movie theater and although Bella had seemingly spiraled without the presence of the Black boy, Cassie had been doing unexpectedly well. She almost constantly wore a smile, but it grew when she had her phone pressed to her ear. Charlie could only assume who was on the other end because she hardly told him anything about the person she had been talking to almost non-stop.

Paul had yet to speak a word of the unique ability he and a few other lucky Quileutes possessed, but with each day the urge grew stronger . . . he needed her to know. He needed to share it with her because even if there was a chance she would reject him, he knew that she was fearless and he was sure he knew how she felt about him.

"Hey, I wanna talk to you." He cut in after her laugh had died down a bit, soft giggles still left her lips and his smile was  permanent as the sound floated through the speaker.

"We're talking right now." She stated, flopping onto her bed.

"Cassie." He sighed, shaking his head a bit. "I meant that I have something that I want to tell you. In-person."

She paused, her eyebrows pinched. "Should I be scared?"

"No." He let out a small laugh, but he wasn't sure he had given her a proper answer. In all honesty, he wasn't the one to say if she would be scared if he told her what he had been keeping a secret for so long. "At least, I don't think so."

"That's comforting." She muttered, moving her thumb to her lips, her teeth nibbling at the nail. "Why can't you just tell me now?"

"Because I can't."

"Ugh!" She groaned and he laughed a little. "Okay." She sighed. "Can you meet me now? I'm free."

"Cassie, it's midnight."