022┆chapter twenty-two

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

twenty-two.       lying

▬▬ "I'M FINE." Cassie lied to Charlie, her phone pressed to her ear as she sat on the porch at Emily's, she didn't want to leave. Once Emily and Sam got back, Cassie gave Emily a hug she hopped let her know what she felt and how much she wanted to be there for her in her time of loss. Emily thanked her, kissed her cheek then made her way up to the guest room where Claire was asleep. Cassie understood her wanting to be with her niece, and she understood that they needed a moment.

So, there she sat on the porch, her knees pulled up to her chest as she shivered against the cold, but the air was a nice welcome. She had felt like she couldn't breath for a while there, but she had shoved it away for Claire.

"You don't sound okay."

"Daddy." She let out a quiet chuckle. "I'm okay, really. I just called to let you know that I'm staying at Emily's. I'll explain more tomorrow, I promise, but I wanna be here for her and Sam."

"All right." He nodded, despite his growing worry. "Well, uh, g'night I guess."

"Goodnight." She smiled a little then hung up and let out a sigh as she rested her forehead on her knees. She needed to get herself together for Emily and Claire. She heard approaching footsteps but she didn't bother moving, and she was eighty percent sure she knew who it was.

"Hey, what are you doing out here? It's cold."

"Needed the air." She told him. "And I called my dad. Had to tell him I wasn't gonna be home, I didn't want him to worry."

"Cassie." He sighed, dropped the bag he carried onto the porch then he sank down next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and pulling her into his side. She sighed a little as his warmth surrounded her, she shifted closer to him and finally let herself cry.

Not for Adam and Jamie, she barely knew them. She cried for Emily, who had lost her brother too soon. And for Claire, who was just three-years-old and had lost her parents.