Chapter 8: Bruce, Winter

Over a year of living at the cabin, Bruce and Winter have made their little cozy abode a home they can protect themselves in. Bruce taught Winter how to defend herself even though he never let her go out to supply runs on her own. They had placed traps around the landscape in the surrounding woods to help stop the dead from ever overrunning the cabin. Winter had gotten what Bruce calls, her womanhood, and they've grabbed supplies while out on their supply runs so he didn't have to perchance wash something all bloody down there.

Winter and Bruce were walking out of the cabin, getting themselves ready for another supply run when Winter chimed up, "We just need food, tampons, pads, and your nasty cigars." Bruce nods with a chuckle as they trek through the woods, following the same paths as they always have going to and from the litte town. "I just don't get it. This world was all fine and dandy but these rascals came from nowheres." Winter just lets him talk it off cause he's said this before and it brought him some company. She knew there must be other survivors out there but as of right now, it was just him and her. She felt as if he was over protective at times and she never knew why, not like she'd date him or anything. But he never said anything and why he did such things and why he just rambled on and on about things she didn't care about.

"You know Bruce, you never told me what happened with you. I've told you my story but you never give up what you went throu-" "Cause there's nothin to it! I was just as confused and star struck as you when I found ya." She just looks at the ground after hearing him yell. She wishes that he would talk to her about what really happened. She'd hear him at night sometimes crying but never got up and interrupted his time alone. There was definitely more to it than he was telling her but she wasn't going to push him further. She just looks up at the same trees that they pass by every trip out here, her eyes study the shape of every branch and the trunks of the trees.

After an hour of walking, Bruce and Winter reach the town and just stare for a moment. They always did this as a reminder that everything has gone to hell. One day they wll have to start searchng farther out to get supplies as she always thought that it would be too dangerous to move by car. "We ought to find a truck or car or somethin before long. We'll need it to make runs to the city soon enough." It was like he had read her mind, "You go on ahead and find ya the stuff ya need. I'll take care of findin a truck." Winter was actually shocked he was letting her go by herself, so she didn't wait for him to change his mind.

Winter walks off to the nearest house as they had always went deeper into town as it had more supplies by what Bruce had told her. Well, there was nothing left but the outskirts to look in and she chose the closest house. She steps onto the front porch carefully, not wanting to alarm any dead to her presence. She walks over to the big window off to her right and looks inside the best she could, hoping to scope out if there were any dead inside or not.

She saw nothing so she carefully places her hand around the brass colored doorknob, thoughts racing through her mind that she was on her own this time and needed to be careful. She eventually turns the doorknob and pushes the door a little to open it. Winter creeps inside with the hunting knife out in hand, ready to take down any dead within sight. She could smell the scent of cigarettes in the air as if who ever used to live here smoked inside of the house, the scent stained in the home. The scent makes Winter scrunch her nose up like it would when she would smell Bruce's cigars, but this wasn't her focus right now.

She focuses her eyes on her surroundings, checking all the rooms for any dead. She walks into the kitchen to look in the fridge and cupboards for anything to take back with her. She finds a couple cans of corn, green beans, and carrots in the cupboards, making her way towards the fridge. She braces herself for disappointment as she pulls the fridge door open like she normally would have before all of this happened.